Chapter 15

Lauren Jauregui is a mastermind, Camila declared. And she certainly deserved an Oscar after her award-winning performance tonight.

"She's... Everything I could've wanted in a person. I guess it's only right to thank you and Sinu for forcing her to get out there."

She was pissed. Absolutely fucking pissed. As a matter of fact, Lauren knows that if a bear wanted to fight her right now, she'd be willing to throw it down.

After managing to evade Alejandro for most of the night at the ball, he still somehow finds his way up Camila's ass—persistent with meeting the raven-haired woman and constantly inviting them over for dinner. Except right now it feels more like an FBI interrogation instead of a family dinner.

Not only that, but she would catch all of the dirty glares and looks he'd send in his daughter's direction, not caring that the dining table was full of family and guests.

A complete fucking moron.

"And how do you feel about marriage?"

"Dad—" Camila tried to speak up but received another nasty glare.

"I don't want to sound cheesy," Lauren gave him a shy smile. "But I've always wanted to get married since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I have a scrapbook laying around somewhere planning all of it out, actually. Maybe I'll get lucky and be the next Cabello."

For the first time the entire night, Alejandro smiled genuinely. "My wife was right about you—you're a marvelous woman, Lauren."

Moments later, Camila reached underneath the table, clasping her hand over Lauren's as she gave it a slight squeeze.

She enjoyed seeing this side of Lauren; determined, willing, and able to make a damn fool out of everyone. Camila shifted in her seat, bringing their intertwined hands up to her mouth as she pressed a soft kiss to Lauren's knuckles.

The older woman turned towards her, the tip of her ears a bright red as she tried to stop herself from smiling so hard. It didn't take long until dinner was being served by a series of chefs that emerged from the kitchen.

From a light appetizer of calamari, oysters, and clams to the main course of wagyu steak and roasted vegetables—it was all delicious.

Rodrigo tapped his silverware lightly against the glass of champagne, standing up from his seat as the whole table ceased their conversations, redirecting their attention to the old man who was waiting patiently for everyone to stop talking.

"I'd like to make a toast to my niece," Rodrigo looked at her with a grin. "She's been one hell of a pain in the ass ever since the moment she learned how to speak, but I have absolutely no regrets. And if there's one thing I know about Camila... It's that she's going to rock your world when she comes in it. She deserves the entire world and I can finally say that this woman," he winked at Lauren. "Is finally giving her it."

He raised his glass into the air. "To everlasting love and happiness,"

-

"You didn't have to do that back there," Camila referred back to the professor talking about marriage. "But thank you, I appreciate it,"

"It's what I signed up for, right?"

Camila twisted her mouth to the side. "We can leave soon. I'll tell them I have a few things I need to handle before my meetings tomorrow."

"Whatever you want," Lauren smoothed out Camila's slightly wrinkled shirt. "Normani and I are going out tomorrow night to some event thing that the school is having, so I'll probably be back a bit late. I just figured I'd let you know."