Chapter 23 - A Dangerous Exchange

i gave yall a week to vote so i've decided

it's revealed in this chapter

also i kicked my butt to make this

enjoy

TW: Blood

~~~

You all spoke with Zhongli, the conversation stretching on, before we agreed that we needed to attend the Rite of Parting. As Zhongli left the room, you stood to follow him, quickly leaving the room where Childe and Aether were still sitting.

Glancing back slightly, you noted that the others were still seated before dropping your voice to a whisper, "You're Morax, right?" 

Zhongli looked down, smiling. "Indeed. It's been a while, Lunaria." 

You scoffed. "Is that how you greet every new one?" 

Zhongli looked back at the path, a distant look in his eyes. "Heh... you're the most similar to her... none of the others had that attitude." 

"Thanks, I guess," You muttered, and he just smiled. We went outside, and waited a moment for Aether to catch up. 

"After having experienced the land of the absentee archon, Traveler," Zhongli said. You suppressed a snicker. "How does it feel to know that our archon and adepti are here all around you in Liyue?" 

"I prefer the atmosphere in Mondstadt..." Aether said awkwardly. 

Zhongli chuckled. "I see, so you're that sort of person. It's not a bad thing. But I suppose you have yet to experience the substance of Liyue's three thousand and seven hundred years of divinity." 

You coughed slightly, mumbling, "Show off." Zhongli merely smiled as Aether looked over, confused. 

You shook your head. "Carry on." 

"Organizing the Rite of Parting should prove to an enlightening part of your travels. Liyue is the most prosperous of the eight nations - just ahead of Tsuki, the Land of Prosperity - defended by deities and ruled by the Qixing. As such, the diplomatic maneuverings of the Fatui have gained no purchase here. Ningguang of the Qixing has always been on her guard against the Fatui. That is in all likelihood why Childe wants to make use of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor's connections." 

"Huh.. what would Childe get out of us doing the Rite of Parting anyway?" Paimon asked. 

"I neither know nor do I wish to know. As far as I am concerned, the Fatui are merely financial sponsors. I only wish for Liyue's traditions to endure." Zhongli handed us a large bag. "These are the advance funds that Childe has provided. If you use them up, you can go to him to apply for any subsequent funding." 

"Wow..." Paimon said, her eyes wide.

"Well then, let us be off. The first step in our preparations shall be to obtain some prize Noctilucous Jade worthy of a deity." 

As they turned to walk off, you hesitated, and said, "Wait." 

They stopped and turned towards you. 

"Is it okay if I meet you guys later?" You asked, fidgeting with your gloves. "I wanted to walk around Liyue a bit, and meet with some people." 

Zhongli and Aether nodded in unison, with Paimon said a high pitched ok. Zhongli looked at you once more, an eyebrow raised. You could tell he knew what you wanted to do, and blushed the slightest bit. 

You waved bye as they walked off, and turned to glance around. Moving out of the way from a couple, you briskly walked towards Wanmin Restaurant.