Chapter 29: Leaders

Chapter 29: Leaders

I woke up, opening my eyes to an unfamiliar room. I slowly pulled myself up to sit on the bed, staring around, trying to remember where I was.

Tuluyang nawala ang antok ko nang mapagtanto ang isang bagay. I'm in Zackary's cabin.

Agad akong tumayo mula sa higaan. Napansin ko ang tasa ng tsaa sa malapit na desk that Zackary must have prepared. Sumulyap ako sa bintana, sa maliwanag na paligid kung saan tumatagos ang sikat ng  araw. Kailangan ko ng bumalik sa cabin. Baka hinahanap na ako ni Anabeth.

I searched for my shoes and reached for my coat hanging behind the  door nang bigla itong bumukas. Pumasok sa loob ng cabin si Zackary with a more casual clothes than what I usually see from him in town. The linen pants and white shirt looks good on him.

"G-Good morning," I tried to greet him.

"Did you have a good sleep?"

Tumango ako. Kinuha niya ang coat na inaabot ko mula sa pintuan at tinulungan akong isuot ito, holding it for me and zipping it up until the warmth of its fabric wrapped around me.

"It's still foggy outside," he told me while adjusting the coat.

Hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili ko na titigan siya. I couldn't believe I had this chance to see him like this so early in the morning, with his hair slightly disheveled and his clothes wrinkled. I like it. It's like he's a normal person in front of me.

"I'll walk you to your cabin," he said. "Then let's have breakfast together."

Inabot niya ang palad ko para hawakan, but I was hesitant at the gesture. People in the camp would see us together. Lumingon si Zackary, nagtataka.

"They will... see you with me," I mumbled. "They might think-"

Zackary raised an eyebrow. "They won't think of anything aside the fact that you're mine."

I raised my head and found him staring back at me, his face resolute. Inabot niya ang pisngi ko gamit ang mainit niyang palad, brushing my cheek in assurance.

"It is... okay for you?" I couldn't help but voice out my fears. "I don't want them to think low of you for being with me..." I dropped my gaze to the floor.

I was always told to know my place and I've learned not to hope for anything beyond it, and whatever Zackary and I have, I knew I couldn't hope for more.

Zackary reached for my lower head and tipped it up gently so I could  face him. "God, Eleanor, can't you see how amazing of a woman you are?"

I stared back, unblinking, being enchanted by his golden eyes looking like honey with the rays of the sun reaching his face. I was aching to touch his face...

"I am?" I asked, wondering if his statement was true.

Sandali akong nawalan ng hininga nang haplusin ng kanyang daliri ang ibabang labi ko. My lips slightly parted in response. "Yes, you are," he said, almost in a whisper. "Everyone else is a fool for thinking otherwise."

His head tilted closer, the narrow space between us closing in each second. I noticed how the lump on his throat moved as he stared down at my lips and the only thing I could hear was my intense heartbeat, anticipating him.

A knock on the door startled me. Bigla akong napaatras palayo kay Zackary.

Bumuntong-hininga si Zackary, as though he knew who caused the sudden noise. "Alexander being an ass," he muttered under his breath before facing the door.

"I told you, Alex, she's here with me," he called through the closed  door.

Patuloy lang ang pagkatok. Zackary sighed before reaching for the knob and twisting it open. Alexander glared before us from the balcony, his face steamed so early in the morning.