Alice's Mischievous Escapades

Today, I turned four years old. It has been eighteen months since I published my essay on physical enhancement and nineteen months since that incident happened. I'd say things were going fairly well. My father said it helped many people. Construction, weapon making, experimenting... I was quite proud I helped many, despite the fact that I did not come up with the idea of physical enhancement.

Honestly, there was only one problem. That incident made my parents way too overprotective. When I disappeared into my space, I forgot that they didn't know about my 'little' dimension, because last time I disappeared I just laughed it off. Sadly, now I was not even allowed to venture outside mansion walls anymore. Unlike before, where I could go out with at least three escorts.

Because of the rumors of me being unable to venture out (I still did it secretly, but whatever), I was known as a prodigy blessed with intelligence but had her health taken away in exchange. However, the one thing that did make me happier was that my mana capacity increased. Now, when performing creation magic, I only used a third of my mana instead of half of it for small sized modern technology.

I just need to improve. Those fucking capture targets don't stand a chance anyway. I giggled. When my new brother comes, I hope he'll be prepared!

----

I am now five years old. As expected, a proposal letter came from the royal family. However, unlike what I originally presumed, my parents came to consult me about it. I thought the reason that Alice got engaged in the first place was because she insisted, so if I just left them alone, then knowing their protectiveness, they would just secretly refuse. Is the reason they told me because of the influence of the royal family? Or the book?

I snapped out of my deliberation when my parents presented the letter, stamped with the royal seal. However, I wasn't in awe or anything. I just casually ripped open the letter and read the proposal. Finally, when I set it down,

I looked at my father and mother, smiled emotionlessly, and asked, "Father, Mother, for what reason did you present this to me? Why did you show me this?"

It seemed like my parents finally got used to my bizarre attitude by now. Unfazed, Father replied, "We did not want to disregard your opinion. So we came to discuss matters of engagement with you. Because of your advanced education, I'm sure, Alice, you know what this means, yes?"

I smiled approvingly. Those geezers have finally grown up... allowing me to express my thoughts this time, I see... They have really matured. I think... Now is the time to let them go... I'm sure they'll be fine without me... If they ever run into trouble, they can always call me. Yes... I'm sad, but it is something I must do for them to be independent as adults. My amusing internal monologue was still occurring when I said, "Father, Mother, please decline the engagement, and the meeting with the crown prince. I do not wish to meet him. Instead, I wish to inherit the dukedom."

They still looked unfazed. It seemed that the unexpected answer was expected for them. There was no rebuttal either, since in this kingdom, women were not discriminated against. In fact, in this world, the reason their technology was so primitive is not because of the age, but because of the discovery of magic. Magic stunted the growth of technology because technology was no longer needed.

"Ali... I understand. However, are you sure you do not want to get engaged to the crown prince? It will give you a position of power, just like you always wanted. The crown prince is a prodigy as well. Although I'm sure he's nowhere near the level of you, he should be able to keep up... I think." The last two words were mumbled by Mother, but I heard it.

I was shocked that that was how Mother viewed me. And I thought I concealed my thoughts, too! After snapping out of my daze, I replied, "Mother, are you not going to tell me that marrying the crown prince is the dream of most noble ladies?"

She shook her head and smiled again. I still can't read her. "Ali, dearest, you aren't exactly... well, normal. Remember that time that you sleep flew into that antique painting?"

I pouted and puffed up my cheeks. "I thought you agreed to never speak of that again!"

She tittered and replied, "Well, the number of your 'accidents' when you were a baby were so high, how can we pass up on the chance to talk about one of them?"

"Hahhh... Whatever. So, no, I do not wish for that kind of power. If the prince cancels the engagement publicly, then the foundation for my future influence over the economy, society, and political tide will be wiped out completely and I will be left with nothing but my family name. So instead, I wish to be the permanent heir of the dukedom. It is a much more stable and secure position. Mother, Father, this is a calculated risk." I spoke my mind.

"Yes, I understand, Alice. But... it is extremely unlikely that the prince will cancel an engagement, and more unlikely that he will do it publicly. What makes you think that that kind of irrational behaviour would even manifest in him? If he does so, he is sure to lose all face and power he has as well. There is no reason to do so, as I said before." Father commented. Yes, that is true... but that cheating bastard obviously doesn't have any real brains, since he did it in the novel.

Of course, I didn't say my thoughts out loud this time, and just said solemnly, "Just a hunch. So, I do not wish to be engaged. I-is that fine, F-Father?" I let out my cutesy attitude and it looked like he was struck in the heart. Heh. My cuteness is certainly vast. No one can resist me! Well... maybe Mother. But no one else can resist me!

So, that was how I got out of my engagement with the bastard crown prince and resumed my peaceful (and holed up) life.

----

I was six years old. Despite my original assumptions, even when I did not get engaged, I still got an adopted brother. When I asked why, my parents answered, '"Well, Alice, you don't have any friends your age. You seem to like talking to adults, but not children. We are worried for your social intelligence. So, we are adopting a brother.'" And that is how my strange internal monologue began again for no apparent reason. 'Ahhh, Mother, Father, it seems you are not ready yet. I will have to keep you under my wing until you are prepared for the outside world. Don't worry, your child will protect you...'

"Ali, meet your new brother, Alden." Oh. So this is what the capture target looked like. Okay. Alden was two years younger than me. With chestnut brown hair and glittering green eyes, he seemed more like a chipmunk in my eyes. However, in the eyes of the servants, he was the epitome of innocence. It seemed that my mischievous (and slightly sadistic) behaviour became the new norm for the servants, because they were in shock when they remembered that children were supposed to be innocent.

Well, he's my new brother, I might as well get along with him. But if he tries to take my position as heir... should I deal with him? No, no, let's not think prematurely. "Hello. My name is Alice. I'm your new big sister!"

"B-big sister..." He mumbled. He then smiled brilliantly. The servants behind me gasped. What's the big deal, guys? He's just a brat who looks nice. "Th-thank you for having me, Lady Alice." He blushed. Okay... maybe a little cute.

A slight smirk grew on my face, and I playfully pinched his cheeks. "Call me big sis."

He blushed even more. "B-b-big sis..." Fuck! How adorable! Okay! I'll spoil you for the rest of your life! And yes, I won't let any heroine touch your innocence, don't worry! Ahhh! My baby brother is so cute!

"Hmmm... what is a good nickname for Alden... Ah! I'll call you Al! Little Al~!" I let one of my angelic, pure, and cleansing smiles out and I swear, half of the servants near me had bloody noses. Hahahaha! Behold, the power of  my fucking cuteness! I saw Al's face as red as a tomato.

"Awww... Your face is as red as Father's when he gets teased by Mother! How adorable!" I picked my little brother up and spun him around (using physical enhancement, of course), while glancing at my father's blushing face, and, to the side, my mother's smug smirk. Pfft! Now I get why mother likes to bully father!

After playing around with little Al and teasing him until he was dizzy, it was time for bed. I insisted on sleeping with him. So, the day ended with me hugging my blushing little brother to sleep, patting his head and stroking his face to gouge his reactions to amuse myself for the night.

(Author's Note: Hey guys! So, how'd you like the chapter? I'm introducing the beloved little brother now~ The next chapter will be in Little Al's POV next! Hope you enjoy it!)