THREE

october 30th, 1984

SHE HAD GONE the wrong way. Aven had walked from one side of the school to the other, looking into classes she thought she had only to find them empty. She crossed her fingers as she looked inside the final one on the slip of paper the office lady had given her, mentally praying that it was right. Thankfully, she let out a breath, but then her nerves spiked again. Billy was there, standing at the front, the teacher introducing him to the class while he smirked. She had to open the door, even when she knew it was the last thing he wanted her to do.

Billy Hargrove liked attention. He liked to have it everywhere he went, in every single moment, every single time. While Aven most commonly let him have it, due to liking the feeling of being in the background merely watching, sometimes she had no choice. As she stood in front of the classroom, tightening her hold on her books, she debated her options. Be even later then she already was, which would end up in some sort of embarrassing reprimand, skip class altogether, but it was her first class at the new school which definitely wouldn't sit right with the principal, or she could walk inside and hope Billy wouldn't be mad that he had to share the spotlight.

She chose the latter, because, genuinely, the girl did not have it in her to be any later or skip entirely. She cautiously pushed open the door, the movement causing the students' eyes to avert from her twin to the entrance as the teacher droned on. Only did the lecturer stop when she noticed the absence of attention.

Aven's eyes glanced over the ocean of people sitting tiredly at their desks, who all immediately perked up upon noticing the arrival of yet another newcomer. Aven swallowed, sight leaving the crowd to fall on the teacher as she pulled open the door completely with a wide smile.

"Welcome, you must be the other one," the woman grinned as she gestured for the girl to step inside. Aven blinked. The other one. Of course she was the other one.