ninety-three

"isla, you honestly might have to hold me back because i'm ready to swing," vei warned as she stepped away from the door

it was safe to say isla was shocked hearing that come out of taeha's mouth. even though she'd heard from her friends that she wasn't the greatest human being, it was just appalling to actually hear those words from her. she really was two-faced.

isla felt angry, and usually she'd never let these types of things get to her but it was different. she'd always felt insecure around taeha, and turns out the feeling was mutual. the girl felt her heart beat in her chest as she watched doyoung storm away from taeha, leaving her completely stunned. taeha breathed in and out before walking towards the bathroom.

"shit," isla whispered, "pretend you're doing something, she's coming." she said as she hurried to the mirror, pulling out lipgloss from her little pouch and applying it on her lips in the mirror.

taeha walked in, her face changing immediately at the sight of the two girls mindlessly fixing themselves up, pretending like they weren't just eavesdropping on her conversation.

she put on a smile quickly. "you guys look beautiful."

vei eyed isla through the mirror, not saying anything to the woman standing a few feet away. isla tried to crack a fake nice smile, but the urge to confront taeha about what she heard was just too strong to ignore.

"you know what... i'm not even going to sit here and pretend like i didn't hear everything you just said about me, honestly." isla sighed as she turned to face taeha completely.

her faced dropped instantly. "that... was NOT what it sounded like."

"no, please don't. it was exactly what it sounded like. i'm not usually the one to even give a second thought to what nasty things are being said to me, but you," isla stopped for a second to catch her breath, "you're awful."

"you don't know shit about me," isla found herself taking steps towards taeha without even noticing. she was close to letting her anger get the best of her when vei grabbed her arm to stop her from walking any closer.

"it's not worth it. i thought i was the insecure one, but it's you. it's truly you. i'm not gonna go there because doyoung already put you in your place. so, have a good life, you cheating skank." the words itself were petty but the tone isla let out was the anger she seemed to have been holding in.

she pushed passed taeha with tears forming at the brim of her eyes as vei followed her out of the bathroom. she quickly wiped them away as she approached doyoung and jungwoo, the two instantly noticing the irritation just radiating off of them.

"we need to leave before i let isla off her leash and allow her to beat taeha's ass." vei warned, crossing her arms.

"...what?"

"we heard everything from the bathroom," isla said, "we should just go. there's no point in being here anymore."

doyoung stayed silent, not able to find words to stay with just a slightly parted lip. he nodded quickly and stood up along with jungwoo.

"...is anyone gonna fill me in?" jungwoo asked with pure confusion.

"later," vei replied.

the four of them walked passed all the rich people that had filled up the place, isla taking one last glance behind her and not seeing taeha anywhere. they walked outside to find the sun had begun to fully set, along with a cool breeze that made goosebumps form on islas bare legs. doyoung unlocked his car, jungwoo getting in the back and allowing isla to sit up front.

the car ride was dreadfully awkward, the tension was thick and no one seemed to be in the mood to say anything. their entire night was ruined, if that was even possible, considering they hardly wanted to be there in the first place. doyoung dropped off vei and jungwoo and once he stopped in front of isla's house, she didn't get out immediately.

"i'm sorry," doyoung said, and for the first time in knowing isla, unable to look at her.

"for?"

"that you had to hear that. you don't deserve it."

isla shrugged. "i don't really know what to think about it."

"don't think about it, she's not worth thinking about." doyoung huffed, crossing his arms and readjusting his position.

isla thought for a moment, pressing her lips in between her teeth before looking at him. "you don't still like... have feelings for her.. right?"

doyoung practically broke his neck turning to her. a cute chuckle from him filled the air before he spoke.

"absolutely... the fuck not. i care about her, yes. she was there for me through a lot and before we dated we were really good friends. i care about her in that way. i completely lost feelings for her, especially after tonight. i can't even fathom the fact that someone actually dislikes you."

"are you crazy? why?"

"you may have been drunk, but i know you remember what i told you that night you slept at my place. you're the most selfless person i have ever met, you're always kind to everyone but you also stick up for yourself when you need to know. i admire that about you. i admire you."

once doyoung had begun talking about her, he couldn't stop.

"there's just no way anyone could truly hate you. all this time of knowing you, i don't know, i like you so much. i love everything about you. i'm captivated by you, i don't even know. i can't explain what it is i feel." his guard had completely been let down as be tried to put his emotions into words.

isla was speechless, not just at what he said, but how different this was from his usual self. he was always so dry, but playful, and this wasn't the doyoung she knew. this made her want to let down all of his walls and meet every single side of him.

"i get it." she replied, looking at him.

"you do?" doyoung asked, one side of his lip upturning into a grin.

"yes," isla said as her stomach turned and her heart raced just from him looking at her, "this is fucking awful, and i feel like a piece of shit for feeling like this, but... i don't think about jeno at all when i'm with you. i love him so much, he means the world to me, and i truly, truly, had feelings for him. but you make me feel so comfortable, like, something about you just makes me want to be vulnerable. and i don't usually feel like this with people."

"don't feel bad for that, isla. he's a really good kid and he'll understand. you don't think it's because he's just been gone for a bit now?"

"no, not really. i think if i really liked him, i wouldn't be feeling this for you. i understand it now, and he deserves better. he deserves someone who will feel what i feel for you, for him."

doyoung nodded, understanding. the two of them felt themselves sink into the car seats comfortably as if a huge weight lifted off of their shoulders from the confessions.

"so, um, just to be clear, you do like me, right?" isla asked after the silence.

doyoung laughed loudly. "yes, i like you. i like you so much it hurts."

isla hit his shoulder lightly before unbuckling her seatbelt and stepping out of the car.

"goodnight, snotty."