𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒- 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬

VALENTINA STARED UP AT THE CEILING OF CAMILO'S ROOM, WILLING SLEEP TO COME.

While others had ignored the awkward atmosphere that came after Mirabelles announcement, she just couldn't. Valentina was always hyper aware of the negative feelings people harbored so with the feelings of the others stress and her own uneasiness about what Mirabelle said combined, she was in a rather restless mood.
Flipping onto her side Valentina watched as Camilo slept in the bed across the room from her.

'He always looks so peaceful when he sleeps.' Valentina thought with a small smile.
Closing her brown eyes once more she willed sleep to come. Minutes passed as the girl laid restless in bed, one of Camilo's shirts covering her body.
Opening her eyes she groaned as she realized sleep wouldn't come to her. So, instead of sitting in the darkness alone, the girl crawled out of bed to go bother her best friend.

"Camilo." The girl softly whispered as she sat next to him on the bed, "Wake up."

Rolling her eyes when the boy didn't budge she folded her legs under her and started shaking him until eventually, he groggily opened his eyes.

"Why are you up, Val? It's late, you should be asleep." He slowly said as he rubbed his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I just can't sleep." She whispered with a frown, fidgeting with the hem of Camilo's shirt.

"No need to apologize, why can't you sleep?" The boy asked as he sat up.

"Too many stressful thoughts." The girl whispered.

"Like what?"

"What Mirabelle said." Valentina frowned, "I know there were no cracks. But that makes me even more worried. Is she okay? Is she seeing things? And then all of the mixed emotions are throwing me off."

"You are such an empath Val. And I understand why you're worried but you shouldn't be, okay?" Camilo smiled as he placed a hand on the girls cheek, "The casita is okay and so is Mirabelle. Today was just a stressful day for her, that's all."

"I guess you're right." Valentina sighed and leaned into Camilo's hand.

"Somethings still bothering you."

Valentina frowned, she was hoping he wouldn't notice that something else was bothering her but of course he did, he always noticed her.

"My mom, she's uh- she's sick." She breathed out.

"Well if she's sick the Julieta can just make something for her." Camilo said with a lopsided grin, trying to cheer the girl up.

"No that's the thing Camilo- Me and abuelo don't really talk about it but she's been sick for a long time." She sighed, "And Julieta's food barely helps.  Sometimes whatever sickness she has goes away, but it always comes back."

"And I'm scared, I'm so scared. I already lost both my abuela and my papá. I can't loose her too."

"Val-"

"And I know I have my abuelo, but he's old." Valentina rambled on with teary eyes, "He won't be able to care for me soon and I don't know what I'll do if I have to take care of both him and my sick mother. Or just him. Or just my mom."

Without a word Camilo tugged the girl towards his chest, holding her tight and running his fingers through her hair.

"It'll be okay Valentina. I promise. You know that I'll always be there for you and that my family will always be there for yours. You guys don't need to face this alone." Camilo comforted as he stroked her cheek.

Valentina clutched Camilo's shirt as sobs shook her body, finally letting out all the stress she had been holding in for months.
The two stayed like this for awhile, even after the girl had calmed down, until Valentina eventually fell asleep to Camilo stroking her hair.
Looking down at the sleeping girl who was leaned against his chest he smiled and pressed a light kiss to her forehead.
Placing her in the spot next to him in bed he lifted the covers over her sleeping frame before encasing her in his arms.

He was happy, she was safe, and she was in his arms.

(a/n)- sorry for the short chapter. i just wanted to include this moment of them alone :) also finding a gif that fit the vibe of this chapter was hard so just take this random gif of Camilo