Chapter twenty four

24. LONG STORY SHORT

"Favourite Taylor Swift song?" Sienna kept firing questions at a tired Elena Gilbert, finding amusement in her apparent annoyance

"I don't like Taylor swift." Elena replied while tiredly rubbing her face, feeling annoyance bubble up in her as the brunette continued to pester her.

Olivia staggered backwards.

"I say we kill her." Olivia decided, staring at Elena with a newfound hatred. "Like, right now. No more waiting. She crossed a line."

"I'm all for it." Sienna shrugged. "But, we'd have a murderous puppy with fangs hunting his down like you hunting after Jake Gyllenhaal."

Olivia sighed disappointedly, still staring daggers into the doppelgänger who looked very uncomfortable under the burning stare. Usually she'd love the attention on herself, but it was a bit different if you were literally kidnapped and it was your captor's eyes burning holes into you, with unbridled hatred.

"There, there." Sienna comforted, patting Olivia's head, promise of malice flashing through her eyes as she titled her head at Elena. "We can drain her blood until she's almost dead."

And just like that, Olivia's eyes were twinkling elatedly.

• • •

Caroline Forbes was at her house now, courtesy of Sienna and Olivia— her new friends. She felt a rush of happiness flow through her veins at the thought, her undead and practically useless heart fluttering happily. She didn't remember a time when she'd been this happy, though that was the last thing on her mind as she mentally planned out the shopping trip both the girls had promised her, and she believed them.

She was pulled from her mind, which was shockingly filled with jubilant thoughts, when a rapid and nonstop knocking sounded her door.

Caroline tensed lightly, anticipating it to be Damon— someone who she most definitely did not want to see, he'd evidently ruin her contented mood. But, nevertheless, she opened her front door, subconsciously folding her arms tighter over her torso.

"Caroline." Bonnie sighed in relief, running a hand through her hair. "I am so sorry for not meeting you at the grill— Elena's.. missing and Damon made me do a locator spell, or a dozen, before he kicked me out and called me useless when the spell didn't work." Bonnie dryly explained.

Caroline blinked in surprise, and in her consolation to the fact she'd hadn't been abandoned by the only person who had yet to leave her, she threw her arms around Bonnie: inhaling her comforting scent.

"Woah-" Bonnie chuckled lightheartedly, wrapping her arms around Caroline's waist as she tightly held onto her, a smile making its way onto her beautiful face— her best friends presence soothing over the stress of the day with ease.

"Wait." Caroline blinked, reluctantly pulling back and both girls frowned slightly in disappointment when their embrace was over, instantly missing the warmth it provided. "Elena's missing?"

"Um, yeah." Bonnie answered slightly later, having lost her focus briefly when the blonde ran a hand through her hair in an effortlessly graceful motion. "Did you not know, no one told you?"

"No." Caroline replied, then added— "Why do we care, though?"

"Caroline." Bonnie raised a singular eyebrow, observing her friend with perplexed eyes. "Cause she's our friend?" Bonnie responded, though there was an underlining questioning in her tone.

"You don't sound too convinced." Caroline said, tugging Bonnie gently indoors after she noticed the fact she was still outside, rubbing her arms to provide more warmth when she noticed her shivering.

Bonnie stayed quiet, staring into Caroline's eyes with hesitance and curiosity and the blonde continued, carefully.

"Friends are supposed to be there for you." Caroline spoke, her eyes a little saddened though mostly clear of negative emotions. "And she never really has been there for us. Friends are supposed to care, and her care only extended to our.. supernatural talents and how they could benefit her. Friends our supposed to actually love you, not use you."

"We-we can't just unfriend her like that." Bonnie spluttered, though her mind flashed tauntingly with all the times she'd comforted Elena and the sentiment was never returned, not really, anyway.

"Why not." Caroline shrugged, her lips curling up into a half smirk. "I'm sure she wouldn't notice, god, all that Salvatore dick seriously got to her head."

Bonnie giggled in agreement and Caroline's already luminescent eyes shon with a brighter —more intense with emotion— light at the sound.

• • •

"Will you shut up!" Jeremy Gilbert snapped, fully done with Damon's toddler tantrum— standing in the main room of the Salvatore house, he just wanted to find his sister. "I'm here to find my sister and you throwing hissy fits isn't exactly helping!"

Damon snarled aggressively towards Jeremy in reply, resembling an feral and unkept animal, he almost pounced over in attack to the younger boy but the warning hand his brother placed on his shoulder steadied his irrational thoughts marginally.

Stefan released a tired sigh at the events of today: a hand soothing over the prominent worry lines creased in his otherwise smooth forehead, eyebrows furrowed stressfully. He just couldn't seem to catch a break, ever.

"How do you plan on finding her, Katniss Everdeen." Damon snapped. "Track her down with your plastic, tacky arrows and teenage stench?"

"We had Bonnie!" Jeremy fumed. "And she was willing to help but no, of course you had to ruin the only chance at finding Elena with your temper tantrums."

"She's useless anyway." Damon growled back, defensive of his own mistakes.

"I don't see you doing a better job." Jeremy scowled. "Unless the goal was to annoy the shit out of everyone in your general vicinity."

A beat of tense silence passed and Stefan was tempted to walk out the door, search for Elena on his own and get away for the immature people he was surrounded with.

"Where are bubbles and buttercup?" Damon suddenly inquired, his eyes narrowed into slits as conclusions whirled around his mind.

Stefan bit down a snarky comment and replied properly, "You can always check their house if you're that desperate, Damon."

Jeremy looked between them, perplexed.

"You know.. I think that sounds like a great plan." Damon grinned wolfishly, markedly darker eyes glinting maliciously as he took off, determined.

Stefan sighed.