7: rules and regulations

The pearl let out a long sigh of relief as you relaxed yourself a little, letting a small, relieved smile enlighten your face. That's a good start.

He looked you up and down again. "So..." he spoke again, tilting his head slightly, giving him a vaguely curious look. "I'm told your name is (name)... is that right?"

You nodded, with a soft hum. The Diamond prince nodded. "Yeah. You look like a (name)." His smirk returns, apparently liking the way it sounded. "It's a very nice name." He states, causing a sudden warmth in your cheeks. He lifts a brow, and folds his arms again. "Do you speak... English as well?" He asked, a curious edge in his voice.

"I can, yes." You answered softly.

His smirk broadened, becoming a very pleased, surprisingly charming smile. So charming that you felt your chest flutter slightly at the sight of it. "Ah, that's good." He chuckles lightly to himself. "Finally... and most importantly... give me a little preview of your singing."

You nodded, standing tall and clearing your throat, before shutting your eyes and breathing in deeply.

It was an ancient lure song your mother had taught you. It had been passed down from generations of sirens, from both pure-breeds and hybrids. It was short, but simple. It was smooth enough to ease anyone but haunting enough to chill the more hardier of mortals.

And from the dazed, relaxed looks on both the prince's and his pearl's face, it got the job done.

"Wow..." he sighed, his voice shaking slightly at a slight shudder rolling through his body. His pearl looked ready to fall over from how enraptured she looked, but quickly snapped out of it upon the ending, stumbling back into attention. "Perfect."

He chuckled, shaking his daze off before looking at you. "So... (name)... let's start with the basics." He clasps his hands behind his back, and leans forward slightly into a slight bow. "My name is Steven. Steven Diamond Universe." He gives a very friendly smile as he continues. "And I welcome you to my palace, as well as your new home."

You nodded, smiling and politely returning his bow.

"Now, to lay down some rules." His face suddenly darkens as he stands tall with his shoulders back, as if he were brandishing the big pink diamond emblem on his chest. "You are not to say my name. I am your superior, and you are to refer to me as such." You felt yourself shrink slightly beneath his stern glare; his gaze harder than the gemstone he bore.

"You're expected to obey any and all orders I give you. And you are not to bother me while I work. No matter what. Failure to do so will lead to severe consequences." You felt a shudder roll through your back. C-consequences... He stares at you pensively for a short moment, before softening his expression. "It's simple stuff, really. You don't really have to do anything else besides listen and keep me entertained. You can do that, can't you?"

You tipped your head to the side, mulling over his rules very carefully.

It... is a pretty simple premise. Just... obey and make him happy.

...Yes. I can do that. It can't be anymore simple than that.

You nodded again. "Yes, milord."

Steven blinked. "Milord?" He appeared unfamiliar with the term.

"I-It's a term we use for those who are high in authority." You explained quickly. "It's been used to refer to royalty for centuries." There was a period of silence, as the diamond mulled your words over.

He appeared surprised at your cooperation, let alone your full, if not swift, acceptance of your new position.

Didn't Connie say your kind was a bit more... resistant to such a thing? Being vain and all..?

You seemed... modest. Humble. Kind...

Not the traits he expected...

...but it was welcomed nonetheless.

That just means there's one less stress in his life...

He simply grinned, with a low chuckle. "I think you an I are going to get along real well." He snickered, walking over to his couch and sat down on it, reclining on the plush seat. "My next assignment isn't for a few hours. Until then I think you know what to do." He makes a shooing motion with his hand. "Sing For Me."

You bowed to him respectfully. "Yes, Master."