Chapter 6: Absolutely

By the time that we got back to my dad's house, several hours had passed. It didn't take us that long to eat, of course, but we sat there and talked about anything and everything. He was just so easy to talk to, and I loved listening to his voice.

We were both surprised to find that all of the parents were still awake and waiting on us when we got back. They were in the same seats as when you had left, but now they were all holding wine glasses.

"How was dinner?" my dad asked as I sat down next to him on the loveseat.

I looked over as Hoseok held up a bottle of white and a bottle of red towards me. I nodded towards the red, and he poured us both a glass.

"It was good," I told him. "We had sushi."

"We want to talk to the two of you," Mr. Jung told us in short, clipped English.

Hoseok handed me my glass of wine, then sat down on the floor in front of me, since my father and I were occupying the only two seats on that couch, and he didn't want to move across the room to where his parents were.

"We understand that what we were asking for you was taking it a bit far," my father said. "We got the point with all of the arguing you both did over it."

"So we aren't going to push you into it," his mother continued.

"Because we know that it wasn't fair to you," his father finished.

Hoseok looked back at me and I shrugged as I put my hand on his shoulder. He smiled at me, then turned back to the parents.

"We'll do it," he told them. We had both discussed this for a while and decided that the easiest thing to do was to just let them think that they had won.

"No," his father said. "You don't have to do that. We'll just sign the merger without it."

"What merger?" I asked, looking at my father. "You mentioned it earlier, but you didn't give me any details about it."

"It's part of the deal to save the company," he stated, looking down at his hands. "We merge Heartstrings with their jewelry company in South Korea. I'll still run the US side, and we'll be able to keep all of our employees. We won't have to lay anybody off. Part of the deal was supposed to be that I would take Hoseok under my wing, as my son-in-law and US VP, and show him how we do things, so he can eventually take over both branches, but..."

"But we feel like we were putting unfair pressure on you kids," his mother said.

"Eomma," Hoseok said, smiling at his mother. "We said that we would do it, and we will."

His mother studied him from across the room, her eyes moving from his face to my hand on his shoulder, and back again.

"No, nae adeul, that's not necessary anymore," his mother told him. She spoke English very well, with almost no accent. "I have always wanted you to marry for love, and I'm sorry that we tried to force you to do otherwise."

Hoseok reached his hand up to where mine was on his shoulder, and wrapped his fingers around my own. "And I will be," he told her, causing her to give him a weird look. "We're not kids, Eomma, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you that we're in love with each other after one date. But give it a few months, and I could definitely see that happening."

"Me too," I said with a smile. I turned my hand over in his so that I could slide my fingers through his.

Hoseok turned his head up to smile at me. "Ellie is amazing, Eomma. I like her a lot already." He turned back to face his parents. "We talked about it. We want to this. You aren't forcing us into anything. All of the arguing before....we had never met each other. It seemed archaic to us. But after meeting Ellie, I have no problem with proceeding with your plan."