FIVE

october 31st, 1984

AVEN KICKED A stone. She watched it roll along the pavement, bouncing and crashing against rough fragments of the ground. Such a small, harmless thing. Such a destructive, painful path. She blinked, kicking it again. And again. And again. She clenched her jaw, raising her face into the air as she breathed in the tears begging to be released. She eyed the moon, watching it, before looking back down at the ground and kicking the rock even further. She was the rock. The rock was her.

Billy's words echoed in her head as she rounded the corner, loud music pumping through the air. Face it, Aven, he'd said in the car as the twins drove to the party. You're a loser. I'm not. Being seen with you is just . . . I'm not doing it anymore than I have to. Stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours. Angrily, she'd gotten out of the car, slammed the door, and walked the remaining few blocks.

The streets were busy. Kids ran around with half-filled bags, knocking on doors and shouting to their friends across fences. Teenagers watched their siblings, adults looking after their children. Aven swallowed, hoping that Max would be okay.

Originally, Aven had wanted to stay with her step-sister and go trick-or-treating as per usual. It was Max that convinced her otherwise. That day, the redhead had gotten invited to hangout with the boys that had been stalking her, and to Aven's surprise, Max seemed genuinely excited to go. So as to not leave the older teen alone on such a fantastic night, the Mayfield girl pulled out a costume and forced her out the door. Reluctantly, Aven accepted defeat and got in an annoyed Billy's car.

Nobody was out the front of the house when Aven finally arrived. She caught a glimpse of Billy's blue vehicle a few houses down, parked on the kerbside. Sounds erupted from the backyard, shouts of enjoyment and excitement ringing through the air. The girl had to dodge numerous drink puddles on the short path up to the front door with a scrunched up nose. She was not one for parties, mainly due to the loss of cleanliness.