Vol.1. Chapter 8.1 : Prelude to an Arduous Journey

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

It's Monday, April 26th, the fourth week of school for us. After three weeks, the class is still going strong. On the other hand, my classmates were thrown into a frenzy when Karuizawa abruptly announced that she and Hirata had begun dating.

Of course, I wasn't startled in the least because I knew it was all a ruse to keep Karuizawa safe from any bullying threats.

Because of this, some of the boys of my class began to dislike Hirata even more, while the girls, although congratulating them, seemed upset by the news. Some of them probably had a crush on Hirata, and it must be heartbreaking to learn that the person you love already has someone else.

I wouldn't know how that would feel though. I guess being damaged and scarred at such an early age must have its weird perks.

(Expect to see more of Kiyo making self-deprecating and dark jokes to cope with his trauma.)

Though, Even apathetic people like myself would like to understand this perplexing sensation known as love. Perhaps one day I can even learn to truly appreciate and adore someone deeply from the bottom of my heart.

But, given the brutal and loveless atmosphere in which I had been raised my entire life, I knew that would be extremely tough for me. Nevertheless, I do sincerely hope that this institution will be able to grant all of my aspirations and that I have not come here in vain.

Returning to the subject, even though some of the females were heartbroken, they quickly recovered when they realized Eichiiro and I were still single and accessible.

Despite his good appearance, Miyake was not popular enough among the girls to be considered a potential future love interest. Koenji wasn't even in the dialogue for discussion due to his narcissistic attitude and arrogant approach.

The girl's hopes of dating either me or Eichiiro are likely to be very slim, considering Eichiiro is already in love with someone else and I...

Well, I wasn't seeking for a long-term relationship at this current time. After all, for the next three years, I will be the leader in charge of guiding this class to the promised land of class A. For the time being, all I intend to do is concentrate on obtaining my freedom and independence. Nothing more and nothing less. However, I do hope that one day I'll be able to form a romantic relationship with someone I consider to be close with.

Swiveling my head to the right, I noticed Horikita, who was wearing her trademark poker look. She was reading a book and appeared unmoved and unconcerned about Karuizawa's revelation to all of our classmates. Horikita, as one might imagine, was someone who was probably uninterested in trifling concerns such as who was dating who, who confessed first, and other similar matters.

To be honest, I wish she wouldn't act so serious all of the time. It's admirable that she's one of the honor students of our class and always pays attention during class discussions and lessons, but I wish she'd behave like a normal high school girl for a change. Nonetheless, she appears to have made some headway in her attempt to broaden her social circle, since I've seen her interacting with Onodera, Kushida, and Inogashira on many occasions.

Although she probably hasn't thought of them as friends yet, it was reassuring to know that she was now more eager to talk to her classmates. She does, however, have some areas she needs to improve in.

But then again, who am I out of all people to pass judgment on a person's social skills?

While I was deep in meditation, the school bell rang, signifying the start of our homeroom. The classroom door slid open, revealing Chabashira-Sensei who had just arrived. She appears to be holding a stack of paper in her hands. She proceeded to enter the classroom in a brisk manner.