chapter seventy four

21 March 1977

4:53 pm

It had been long and hard work, but it was done. They were finally finished.

"The Marauders Map!" exclaimed James.

"Excuse me? I'm not a marauder," said Ophelia. "Nor do I have any interest in becoming one."

"That's your loss, babe because it's been decided that we're calling it the Marauders Map," shrugged Sirius.

"Since when?"

"Since like," Sirius thought for a moment and counted a few fingers. "Since right now."

"Has anyone ever told you that you're dramatic, Padfoot?" asked Peter.

"It runs in the family," Sirius batted his eyelashes.

"Hey, Phee. Since you've been out mapping the castle, you haven't seen what Remus and I came up with!" Peter exclaimed.

"Should I be scared? I feel like I should be scared," said the girl.

"No, not at all. It's quite brilliant actually. Petey over here came up with the idea, I actually put it on the map," Remus explained.

"Are you just going to keep describing the creative process or are you actually going to show it to me?"

"The map is now officially password protected!"

"Wait Pete, that's actually a really good idea-"

"Why are you so surprised? I'll have you know I'm actually quite the genius when I want to be."

"Say that to the troll you got on the OWLs last year."

"No one pays attention in History of Magic! It's not my fault I can't stop falling asleep in that bloody class!"

"Anyway, back on topic, Pete that was a very good idea and I applaud you. What's the password?"

James took his wand and placed the tip on the folded piece of parchment, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

A mini Hogwarts castle appeared on the outside, ink words sprouting up from the parchment.

"Messrs. Viper, Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are proud to present the Marauders Map," Ophelia read out loud. "Okay, listen. It's cool, really cool. Pete, great idea! Remmy, wonderful execution. But who the bloody hell is viper? If that's supposed to be me, I'm ripping this paper in half."

"Ophelia, up on the astronomy tower the night you told me you knew about my lycanthropy, do you remember what you told me about your name?" Remus started cautiously, knowing better than to get the girl mad. He didn't want to end up with a tiny skull or bright pink hair.

"What? That I was supposed to be a boy?"

"Oh no, not this again," groaned Sirius.

"Wait what?" asked James.

"Yeah, when my mother and father found out they were having twins they did not doubt that it would be two boys. They picked out the names Sirius and Ophiuchus, after the star and the constellation. When I fell out of my mother's vagina, they were not pleased to see me. They quickly had to come up with another name, because Godric forbid they give me a possibly masculine name, and Ophelia was what was closest to Ophiuchus. Probably not the most heartfelt, endearing story, but it's what happened."

"Thanks for that lovely story, Phee. I'm sure everyone learned something new," Sirius interrupted, ignoring the glare from his twin. "But, Remus what were you saying?"