Book Review: Wanted

2nd book: Wanted
Author: that_fangirl120
Reviewed by: Azrael_Irene

Most 'dark' Percy books often start the same. A new kid in camp (who is often weirdly different from the others) accuse Percy of doing something. They exile him and Percy goes evil. Later, it always ends with either them forgiving him, Percy going back and proving that they're wrong or he comes back and he destroys the camp. They also change most of our OTPs in favor of others. This book proved most of those wrong.

'Wanted' is a two-book ongoing series by that_fangirl120.

The first three chapters give us the setting and some background things to know while digging into the story.

The book starts in the setting of the Olympian Council. The three fates(I personally see them as the three little pigs) come and deliver a prophecy. It is quite weird and I think unheard of. Which totally adds to the thrill.

While thinking of whom the prophecy could be talking about, Zeus mentions Percy's disappearance since he was banished. Percy seems to have been hiding in the throne room, effectively hearing the prophecy. This lead to us being told that he was convicted of murdering Will (solangelo Stans are heartbroken).

Even though he was banished, it seems like Percy has been making visits to camp and printing his symbol 'a cross over a trident' on the cabin walls.

Chiron calls up the seven Jason, Piper, Hazel, Leo, Frank, Annabeth and Nico(who is devastated of his 'close friend's' death and swears to kill Percy) and tell them to find Percy.

In the next chapter, we are taken to Mt. Olympus once again, where El Gods informs the seven and us of the existence of 'light' and 'dark' demigods and their prison in 'the forest of blood'.

We also learn that a curse, which prevented the dark demigods from leaving the prison, made them immortal. But two weeks ago, it was broken by Perce.

They are given a map to help them find Percy. And in the next chapter, they begin their journey. But before they leave, the seven are made immortal. This was completely unnecessary in my opinion, since the seven probably wouldn't want to have the rest of their friends die while they survive.

Moving on, we also learn that Percy is now the dark demigod's king. Jason is taken aside by Poseidon and given a talk. He also asks Jason to bring Percy to his senses and gives him a trident to give Percy, saying 'he'll know what to do with it." Truth be told I forgot about the trident till I was reminded in the second book.

In the next chapter, the seven go to the blood forest(sounds like the cake 'black forest'). They are faced with some storms as they arrive. They get a welcome party of demigods riding huge eagle though. Pretty cool ngl.

In the next chapter, we see Percy for the first time through Atlanta. It is easy to tell that Atlanta is a complete psychopathic b#^ch who has a crush on Percy. Percy is shown as a Four wannabe. He is training and speaks with a deep voice with an edge.

We also see that Percy had Atlanta give the seven a drug 'night taster' to make them sleep till the next morning. We also hear Percy's laugh, which makes the dead want to scream apparently.

The next morning the seven see Percy. And apparently, they realized just then that they were intruders. Smh what are kids coming to these days. Then they're given cabins and told to fight and whatnot. It's easy to read and good plot. But rewriting them scene by scene is kinda hard.

Later, they play 'the killing games' and a few of them are tortured. Ya know... Fun and games. Everyday stuff.

We then see a lot of decisions about whether or not to leave the island and Octavia confronting Annabeth about still being in love with Percy.

In the next few chapters, Annabeth pretends to still love him to be his bodyguard and the seven fights Percy.

We also understand that everything actually has been going according to Percy's plan. We find out that Olympus wants to kill Percy and destroy the entire island along with the demigods and are using the seven as a distraction.

Annabeth falls back in love with Percy and snaps in and out of it occasionally. Honestly, her reaction is relatable. If my boyfriend turned from an awesome yet idiotic person to a psychopathic manipulator, I think I would be confused too.

There is a lot of confrontation and confusion and fighting in the next few chapters. Percy invades Olympus and, of course ,wins. That is something that actually gave me a negative feeling about this book. Percy, however strong he is, will never be equal to a God. A minor god? Maybe. But if this actually happened, Percy would at least have more casualties.

The ending was quite good though. We see the group of them locked up as Percy establishes control over Olympus. Percy either kills the God's or makes them slaves. Percy also makes Jason, Annabeth, Piper, etc slaves.

The ending sentence was an awesome one ngl. It ended with 'maybe darkness is meant to be their salvation.' It was awesome. It kind of gives way to us wondering if it was indeed their salvation and of course, the second book tells us about it.

The second book is ongoing. The review will be posted after it is complete.

This book was by no means perfect. But it was as close to perfection in a Percy Jackson fanfic as I have ever read. There were many small details in the book which adds to it's charm. There are small typos here and there, but other than that I would definitely recommend the book.

There are a lot of mentions of blood. So if you are triggered, please have caution.

Rating: 8/10
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️/ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️