40

Harry Styles

//

"Do not turn off the lights, Desmond!" I could hear this woman's voice from the other side of the door and I knew they were fighting about me again.

They always did.

And he would turn off the lights when she wasn't around, he didn't care about me and I knew he wanted me to leave.

I knew he hated me, I wasn't supposed to be here. I didn't know why I was here.

Maybe I was too young to know what death felt like but I really felt like I had died inside that bunker. I left a part of me in there, a part I was never going to get back.

My sister wasn't with me and she had been gone for a while now. There was no way for me to count the days since she was taken but I knew I spent way too many sleepless nights wishing she could be right next to me.

I stopped eating and moving at all... my body felt dead, I was too weak.

My life felt like a stupid dream and nothing mattered anymore, I didn't matter.

I was left alone in the dark.

"I don't fucking know why you brought him here! He wouldn't be the first to die-"

"He can hear you!" Anne said, and I didn't know why she was being nice to me.

I could remember her face... I saw her face right before I fainted that day, two weeks ago from now.

I hadn't spoken much or done anything, I was confused about what was happening. I didn't want to remember and I didn't want to think about the pain, it hurt so much that it made my tummy hurt.

My parents were somewhere out there... my sister was somewhere out there if she was still alive. I was naive to think all those children that disappeared from the bunker were living happily somewhere, free.

We were never free.

Even though I was in this fancy house now, I was still trapped inside my mind. I built this prison to protect myself from scary thoughts, and I didn't  know how to leave anymore. It was always dark for me.

I was terrified of the dark now, it just made me think of my sister and everything we went through.

The bad men would always come when it was dark... the first thing I remembered after we were kidnapped was being in the dark, and there was only darkness around me when Gemma was taken.

Nothing good happened when the lights were out.

I didn't know how long we were in that bunker, I just knew how much it hurt.

We were snatched away from our parents and our lives, until we became nothing.

And when I was about to simply give up and wish to never open my eyes again, this woman came along and brought me here.

I didn't remember much of the days after she took me out of the bunker, but I remembered the doctors and some tubes in my arms. I was too weak to keep my eyes open, until one day I woke up feeling strong enough to blink.

And then they brought me here.

I didn't plan on talking to them, I didn't trust them at all. Desmond wasn't a nice person and he was mean to me.

Anne tried to talk to me and ask about me, but I only told her my name and asked where Gemma was. I was sure they sent her somewhere, they had to know where she was.

I didn't have my sister to protect me anymore and I was so scared.

This bed managed to feel just as uncomfortable as the damp concrete floor of the bunker, maybe because I still felt imprisoned. I didn't like these people and they were bad.