Happier

Dalia's POV

"Happy birthday to me..." I mumbled with a small grin.

I never quite cared for birthdays. I've been in Tulsa for somewhere around a year now and I've never been happier. But I'm finally 18.

I had the rest of my life ahead of me without worry of my parents, and I think that's the best present I could have asked for.

I told Sodapop when my birthday was, but I prefer to keep it a secret. I've never quite cared for birthdays. Celebrating them was always boring to me. In reality, it's just celebrating how many times I've gone around the sun. And it's not like I grew up with people who cared about me and wanted to do this stuff for me.

Dalton said he had a surprise for me today. He still lives in Windrixville. I've visited quite a few times and he's visited here, but he said he's staying for longer while he visits because it's my birthday.

I didn't really care what he was gonna get me. Seeing him for more than two days was a win for me.

I got dressed for the day and started it off like usual. Today was just gonna be a normal day.

I walked out of my room and within a second, I already had someone popping out at me. "Surprise!" Someone yelled.

I let out a squeal and looked to my left. "Dalton? Jesus Christ! You scared me!" I yelled.

I heard Dallas laughing from the stairs. "Yeah, that's the whole point." Dalton continued as he walked next to me.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. You're here earlier than I thought." I said going down the stairs.

"I got here an hour ago. Grace is on her way here, too."

"Really? I haven't seen her in a while."

"Me neither. We got back together, but this is our first time seeing each other in person since then." Dalton said, getting red.

"Wow. That's a surprise." I said with a grin.

"And why is that?" Dalton asked.

"She's way out of your league."

Dalton playfully hit my arm and I laughed. "Come on. We've got places to be." Dallas said hurrying us along.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The train station." Dalton said. "Grace is gonna be here in twenty minutes."

"Wow. My birthday and Dalton's getting all the presents." I said, rolling my eyes.

"You don't even like birthdays!" Dallas said all defensively.

I laughed. "I'm kidding."

We walked down the street and finally made it to the train station. It's been a second since I've been here. We all waited impatiently on the bench for the train to arrive.

I ended up waiting there for so long that I fell asleep. I was only woken up by the train whistle. I  was on the floor and I rubbed my eyes. "Did you guys shove me off the bench?" I asked with a tint of confusion.

"Yes." They both said in sync.

I rolled my eyes. The door opened to the train and people slowly started walking out. Dalton stood up quickly and started cracking his knuckles. Apparently cracking fingers and nerves run in the family.

I saw Grace walk out of the train and looked around for him. Dalton went up to her and hugged her slightly. Awk-ward.

Dallas pretended to gag and I rolled my eyes. They both laughed at our shenanigans.

I stood up and I saw Grace turn around and start talking to someone. It was a girl.

"Dalia!" She yelled.

"Lottie!" I screamed.

I bolted from where I was standing — almost tripping over my own feet — and hugged Lottie, but this time putting us both on the ground.

We both laughed until we couldn't breathe. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

She stood up. She grabbed my hands and helped me up, too. "It's my best friends birthday! Why wouldn't I be here?"

"It's a long way to travel for just a regular old day."

"Just because you don't like to celebrate, doesn't mean we all don't. I'm always down for a slice of cake." She said walking towards Dallas.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's get outta here." Dallas said, lighting a cigarette. "Everyone's got someone coming to see them and I'm gonna be behind you all." He muttered.

"You don't have any friends. Not our fault." I said, without missing a beat.

Dalton and Grace laughed and Lottie tried not to, but it didn't work. "Watch your mouth." Dallas said.

I laughed along with the rest of them. I wasn't sure where we were walking, but I got too wrapped up in my conversation with Lottie to notice.

We walked up to the park next to the Curtis' and I figured we were heading over there.

We walked up the steps to the Curtis' house and Dallas walked in first with Dalton. I was gossiping to Lottie about my new life as we made our way inside.

"Happy birthday!" Someone yelled in my left ear as I walked in the door.

It took me by surprise only to realize that everyone was already there and Sodapop had me in a quick embrace.

I laughed a bit. "Hey, Soda."

"We have chocolate cake in the kitchen." He said, looking down at me.

"What's new?" I asked.

"Ooh... who's that?" Lottie said, out loud, looking at Steve.

"Charlotte." I reprimanded.

She laughed and whispered something to Grace.

I looked back at Soda and realized, for the first time in my life, I didn't feel like I was living in hell.

I didn't feel like I had nothing to live for.

Because I really did have something to live for!

Friends, a family, a relationship, a future of my own and maybe even in the near future, a new family of my own.

Whatever I had in store for me, I was ready for it and I had some sort of confidence about it.

The best thing about this was that I got to share my new found happiness with the people I love.