Chapter 8

It's been a week since you started your new job, taking care of Suki. Sometimes you wonder if this is just a fancy way of being a nanny, but you've never felt like that. You always felt like you belong with them, like the piece that completed the puzzle.

This time, as you did so for a whole week now, right after dinner, Suki would ask you to go in her room and read her a book.

"Daddy never read you a book before?" you asked as Suki settled on her bed before she shook her head no and looked at you.

"He was too busy with work and streaming," the little girl said. "Sometimes he would, but his voice did not fit the fairy tale."

You couldn't help but chuckle at what Suki said. True enough, Kenma's voice had always been as languid as he is. Fairy tales are meant to be read using a certain type of voice that would appeal to young kids. And you can't imagine Kenma trying to read Suki a fairy tale.

"Alright, let Ms. Y/n read you a fairy tale from now on," you said. "What story does Suki wants to listen to this time?"

There were several books sprawled on the bed and Suki looked at them, scanning the covers before she pointed at the fairy tale book Beauty and The Beast.

You opened it, sitting comfortably on the couch next to her bed, you started reading it while Suki listened assiduously. She was so invested in the story at first, until you got to the middle part and Suki started to doze off.

You would take a glance at her once in a while to see her head bobbing down and she tried to fight the urge to fall asleep. At least until you got to the last part.

"And they live happily ever after," you said, closing the book.

You tucked Suki in to bed, putting the duvet securely to provide her warmth. You were about to straighten up when Suki lifted her arms and wrapped them around your shoulders as you lowered down.

"Good night," she said. "Ms. Y/n."

"Good night, Suki-chan." You lowered down to plant a feather light kiss on her forehead, silently wishing her a sweet and happy dream because children don't deserve to have nightmares.

She managed a smile with her eyes closed as you brush some strands of her hair away from her face. She unconsciously leaned towards your touch as if asking to be touched more, like a little kitten when it's being cleaned by its mother.

You wanted to stay for a while, but then you realized the time and you had to catch the bus.

Straightening up, you tucked the duvet securely again before you turned around and headed outside her room. Once you walked out, Kenma suddenly came and you almost bumped into each other. He lowered his hand that's holding his phone to look at you.