Chapter IV

Today is the first day of the new Flash team and I'm in a mix of emotions. On the one hand I'm glad I can get back to a life that I thought was in my past, I'm glad I'll have Caitlin on the team as I can't wait to spend more time with her without being patient and doctor. But on the other hand I'm very nervous and a little scared because I don't want what happened in the past to happen again.

I was at home, sitting on my couch watching some television when I made the decision to text Caitlin and invite her to have coffee together before our first day at a new "job". I smiled as I read her message and in a matter of seconds I was dressed, shoes, hairstyle and ready to leave the house. As I still had some time before the agreed time, I decided to walk like the rest of the people and enjoy the view that was around me.

When I got to Jitters, I leaned against the wall and started thinking about today and an intense nervousness gripped me and it seems I wasn't the only one who noticed it because as soon as Caitlin came to my side, she knew that something was troubling my mind. I ended up confessing to her that I was nervous about today and that I didn't want the past to repeat itself.

But there was a phrase she told me that got "stuck" in my mind: "That won't happen, because I won't let you!" It was a simple statement, however it made the nervousness decrease significantly. After having breakfast we went to the laboratory, where I was showing her the corners of the house.

Honestly, it wasn't until I took the Caitlin guided tour that I realized how much I missed this lab, which had been a second home for many years. After some practice, lots of laughter, it was time for lunch and then we went to meet Joe and Eddie at the Jitters.

- So Caitlin, tell us things about yourself. Where you come from, you live alone, you date, you are married.

I gave Eddie a gentle kick but he just looked at me and smiled. However, I confess that deep down I also wanted to know the answer to part of Eddie's question.

- I was just curious.

- No problem. I come from Memphis, where I used to work at the lab where my mom is the CEO. When I found out about the opening to work at the AMH, I didn't hesitate, I said goodbye, packed my bags and came here. I live alone, I don't date and I'm not married either.

"And were your parents happy with your decision to come here?" Joe asked this time.

- Not really. When I told my mother that I was going to change jobs and cities, she was very apprehensive. She always told me that this change was a mistake and whenever I call her that statement comes up, so I even avoid calling her.

"What about your father?" Joe asked.

- He died when I was little.

"I had no idea, sorry." Joe said, looking down a little.

- No problem. He's not with us anymore, but I like to think he supports me in my decisions, even if they're half crazy, like moving to a city I don't know and coming to a job I've never done in my life.

Caitlin's story was actually a little complicated and I quickly noticed that she was getting quite emotional from this conversation, so I just did what I felt was right and put my hand on her back and with my fingers, I made little circles. Although I understand her mother's side a little, I'm glad Caitlin didn't listen to her and came to Central City, as it allowed me to get to know her.

The rest of our afternoon was pretty calm, so we were just training, as it was also something I hadn't done for quite some time. When it was time to leave, I walked Caitlin to her car and after she offered me a ride, which I took without a second thought, I sat on my couch thinking about today.

It was almost ten at night and sleep still hadn't set in, so I decided to go for a walk around town. Thanks to my super speed I managed to go around the city completely, but I stopped when I reached a small garden that was 15 minutes away from STAR Labs. And why did I stop at this precise place, you ask? Because I saw her, sitting on one of the park benches, with headphones in her ears as she watched the beautiful landscape in front of her. Carefully, so as not to startle her, I touched her on the shoulder and she quickly took off her headphones and when she saw it was me, she just smiled and motioned for me to sit beside her.

"What are you doing here at this time of night?" I asked after I sat down beside her.

"I think I can ask the same thing," she said laughing, but then her smile disappeared.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked pulling my chin up, making her look me in the eye.

- Just another argument with my mother.

- She still hasn't got used to your decision to come here?

- No and I don't think she'll get used to it anytime soon. She still thinks it's crazy that I gave up my life to come to a city where I don't know anyone and for a job that's not really my field. I know I don't need her permission as I'm already big and vaccinated, but I would like her support.

"I don't know if it counts for something, but I think it was the right decision." I said putting my arm behind her back and she just rests her head on my shoulder.

- It counts a lot! Thank you for your support.

- You were my support during this last year, it's my turn to be yours!

- What about you? Why are you here at this hour?

- I was sleepless and a walk around the city always helped me.

We were talking a little longer, but as the time progressed, our tiredness also showed, so we decided to call it a day and go to our houses.