72.

Song recommendation: Salt and the Sea by the Lumineers
-

Our bodies were intertwined beneath the blankets. His leg between mine, my arm draped across his chest while his slid underneath my waist. My head was tilted back, his face was buried in the crook of my neck. I was the first to wake up that fateful December morning. The sun was rising over the horizon which meant the fat little chickadees that were perched outside the window would be singing any time now.

Niall kept a small bird feeder hanging from his bedroom window. While I'd been living there I had taken the liberty of filling that little house with black sunflower seeds. I had hoped that it would attract some colourful little friends, but I now know that chickadees love sunflower seeds the most. That's what I get for not doing my research I suppose.

My eyes slowly creaked open to see the golden glow of sunlight shining on the white walls of Niall's bedroom. The light reflected off the glass covering a family photo hanging beside the closet. I let out a stream of air through my mouth as I gazed at the photo, still coming to my senses. There were so many people. I now knew that Niall had five older siblings: two brothers, and three sisters. His sister Sophie was closest to our age, she was twenty nine. She was Niall's only sibling that wasn't married or had children. All of the other Horan kids had families of their own. Niall had mentioned that Sophie was a handful, and their parents weren't happy with her choice to not live in New York. She lived in London. That's why Niall was the favourite, he was closest to his parents, and he didn't have a family of his own to keep him away.

As I realized how we were situated, I twirled a piece of Niall's hair around my fingers, letting the silky strands fall softly. I had a feeling he wouldn't be the last to settle down. I knew Maura wouldn't be upset. I think she liked me a lot. If her youngest son was to end up with anyone, at least it's a girl who won't put up with his bullshit.

I let out a small laugh at my internal comedy show.

"What's so funny, Philly girl?" Niall mumbled against my neck. I guess he was awake.

"Nothing." I whispered. "Go back to sleep."

"Am I drooling?" He lifted his head to check, his hair stuck straight up on one side, and his puffy eyes squinted at the pillow.

"You can't see." I reminded him.

"Correct." He confirmed. "I cannot see."

"Did you bring your glasses home?" I wondered, keeping my voice soft and low.

"Nope." He sat up in the bed, ruffling up his hair so that it sat properly. "But..." He reached over to his nightstand and pulled open the drawer. "A smart guy like me keeps spares." He pulled out an extra pair of glasses and rolled back over to me.

"Can I see them?" I asked as he cleaned the lenses on the bed sheets.

"Mhm." He placed the glasses in my hand.

I slid the frames onto my face and looked over at Niall.

"How do I look?" I smiled.

"I don't know," He smirked. "I don't have my glasses on."

"Hm, that's a shame. If you were a smart guy you'd have extras." I teased.

Niall took that as a challenge and immediately crawled over top of me, his face hovering inches above mine.

"I may be blind, but I'm not incompetent firefly." He gazed down at me. "I've got an imagination."

"I'm sure you do." I placed a hand on his chest. "What are you imagining Detective Horan?" I purred.