CHAPTER TWO

𝐓𝐰𝐨: 𝐎𝐮𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞

Y/N was a pebble in your shoe, impossible to ignore. She felt too American despite the fact that she was a Filipina through and through. Her hemline was considerably shorter than what the women of Colombia wore- she couldn't help but tug it every now and then. She was left to fend for their luggage, the only possessions they have left from the Philippines. The life she knew ended with a single handshake and a pat on the back. Now she stared at what she had left; four bags waiting to burst to spill their contents on the dirt.

Francisco had gingerly placed Leonora in her wheelchair, the paperwork took a toll on their flight to Colombia which unfortunately made Leonora resort back to her dreary self. Once he settled her on their new bed, Francisco went out to help his daughter with their belongings. There she was, sitting on the cart with her face pressed against her palm.

"Did we get scammed?" She mused, blowing a strand of hair away from her face. Francisco laughed, ruffling her hair as he slung the largest bag over his shoulder, "We didn't, it's a pretty decent house." He said as he knocked on the wall; guessing by the sound of it, the foundation seemed sturdy enough. Y/N hopped off the cart, slipping the straps of her backpack on.

The house was definitely much colorful in comparison to their old one- it was a three-story house, the walls were white but the doorframes and the railings were painted red and yellow with some blue adornments. There were also hanging plants scattered across the house much to Y/N's liking. However, the inside was toasty and she prayed that she and her family wouldn't be baked alive in this house. She dropped her bag on a nearby couch with a huff and pushed the windows open to let some breeze in. Much better. She closed her eyes and breathe in the fresh air.

Then there were loud footsteps like the ground of the earth was being struck. A woman's voice followed right after and soon enough, her father piped in. Her eyes shot open, could this be who she thought she was; Julieta? There she saw the most jacked woman towering over her father. Y/N watched, mesmerized as the woman hauled the remaining bags with ease. She backed away from the window, she felt shy and small all of a sudden. To her dismay, Francisco had already seen her peaking from the windowsill. Dread watched over her as he opened his mouth, readying himself to yell for her to come over.

"Y/N!" She flinched. Reluctantly, she left the couch, and out she went with an embarrassed smile. Tug and tug- she tried to make her skirt cover her knees, her flats had already blistered her feet and she could imagine herself walking funny by the way she tugged and limp. The woman smiled down at her but she couldn't look at anything else other than the way her biceps flexed. Dios Mio, Y/N's face felt warm which caused her to nervously pull on her skirt more. She wonder if she could touch-

"Ms. Luisa, this is Y/N, my daughter." Snapping out of it; Francisco has taken the initiative to introduce her. Y/N stretched an arm forward, her hands clammy. Luisa shifted the bag from her right hand to the other, taking Y/N's outstretched hand, and shook it firmly. Her hazel eyes scanned over Y/N's features, putting two and two together, "You know, I have a sister just about your age." Luisa remarked, walking towards the entrance of the house. Y/N followed the taller woman, keeping her hands busy by playing with her pinky. "What- What's her name?" Luisa dropped the two bags on the couch and clapped her hands, "Mirabel, you'll find her when you decide to explore the village."

It was not a matter of when, it was a matter of if. That was the last time Y/N saw Luisa. Days flew by and she had spent most of it accompanying her mother. Francisco was usually out either job hunting or trying to contact Julieta. The family still hadn't met her; she was a busy woman after all. In the meantime, Francisco tried to gather as much information he could get. Usually, it was either the villagers singing praise to the Madrigals or spitting senseless gossip at him- it came to the point that Francisco was seen as one of the tsismosas... well tsismoso.

Francisco would only come back till afternoon which meant that Y/N was tasked to look over Leonora. She rolled to her side to face her mother, she lay beside her. Leonora was unresponsive most of the time; she had been that way ever since 1952. Y/N didn't really grow up knowing her, she only had memories from when she was just a little kid when Leonora was herself. Alas, she reached her teenage years with Leonora staying silent for most of it. She only heard the occasional "iha" when she needed something from her. Maybe Julieta could help her bring her mother back, the mother she had when she was little. Y/N sighed; it was wishful thinking.

Francisco returned with only a pocketful of useless information about the Madrigals; the village tsismosas would just flood him unwarranted, yapping about their silly conspiracies towards the family. "Did you know that Mariano cheated on Isabela with her prima, Dolores?" He doesn't even know who Mariano was nor does he care. He's pretty sure most of these statements were false anyway.

When he entered the room; he saw Y/N laying on his side of the bed with a book in her right hand, "Any news?" She asked while placing the novel down on her lap. Francisco let out a dry laugh and sat on the foot of the bed, "The village tsismosas are getting creative." Y/N raised a brow, he chuckled. "This is my favorite one so far," Francisco leaned towards her as if he was about to give her forbidden knowledge. He comically looked around the room, pretending to check whether they were fully alone. He placed a hand beside his mouth and whispered, "They think that Abuela Alma was long dead and replaced by her shapeshifter grandson."

The two giggled and tried to hush each other. In the end, Y/N still didn't fully believe in the supposed magical family, she guessed that maybe she just had to see it herself.