Chapter Sixteen

Before Damian had woken up, I snuck out of the apartment to go meet Toby. I didn't want to bump into Damian, especially after last night. Apparently we are in a game now, sort of. He's trying to reach the end goal, and that's me! How absurd! This is going too far, I swear. Damian seems to be going to great lengths just to get me. Well, kind of. But what would Jake say? How would Jake react? Would he be okay if we were to date? He warned be not to get played by Damian. Am I getting played? But then it didn't explain why Damian seemingly got jealous of Toby and I. Oh, no, is he jealous?

"Kylie, are you okay?" I look to Toby and give him a smile.

"Absolutely fine." We weren't doing much. We were walking around town and having a good chat. Pete had given me the whole week off, something about us being required to have a week off. I wasn't going to complain because that meant I got a bit of free time. I asked Toby if he wanted to go to a bar, maybe have a few drinks. He declined. Instead, we just wandered about and carried on chatting to each other.

As we were walking, we passed Drake's Autos. Toby didn't realise but my gaze was fixated on Damian. I wasn't checking him out, no way. I was more intrigued that Alison was there. She was trying to, well, seduce him. I laughed, making Toby look in my direction. He saw where I was looking and frowned. "What's funny?"

"Alison, she's a crazy woman. Watch, it'll play out like a soap opera," I tell him. From across the road, we stare at the little scene that was playing out. As we watched on, I explained Damian's situation with Alison. Toby found it hilarious, to say the least.

We saw Alison running her hands up and down his arms whilst he glared at her. He removed her hands from his arms by stepping back from her. I could only imagine that he was telling her to stop and go away, but she wasn't getting the message. Damian obviously said something that offended Alison because she slapped him, but then tried to kiss him after. He pushed her away and he looked red with anger. Eventually, Alison stomped her feet and walked off, flipping her hair over her shoulder. It was really dramatic actually. Damian run his hands through his hair and then proceeded to continue to work.

When he decided to go back to work, Toby and I continued our walk. He suggested we go to get coffee because he was craving coffee. I went along because I could do with some coffee too. I found myself wanting coffee too, a lot more than usual.

As we were sitting and drinking our coffee, Toby made things awkward. When I mean awkward, I mean extremely awkward. Thankfully I wasn't holding my coffee cup and it was resting on the table because I would've dropped it and spilt it all over me. I was also thankful I wasn't drinking my coffee because I'm sure I would've spat it out.

My mouth dropped and I stared at him, unable to say anything. "What?" I finally said. It came out more like a whisper though, barely audible. He blinked and looked completely mortified. Oh, no.

"I- Oh- I'm sorry. I just- I thought you and I- I thought we- I'm sorry," he stuttered, looking down at his hands. He couldn't look me in the eyes. I don't think I could either.

"You like me?" I ask, looking at him putting his head in his hands. Since I met him, I had never seen him in that way. I never saw him as anything more than a friend. I didn't realise he that way about me. I always thought we were just friends. I guess I was completely wrong.

"I thought you liked me back," he groaned out. "Please, let's just forget this. I'm so mortified!" he exclaimed, drawing a bit of attention towards the both of us. He threw a quick apology to everyone and stood up. "I'm going home, I'm sorry." Before I could protest and tell him to stop so we could talk, he was already out of the door. I frowned. Why is everything so complicated? It's like I'm in a television show, or even a book! I quickly finished my coffee. I was going to go after him but I figured he wouldn't want me to. If I were in his position, I'd feel too embarrassed and would not want them chasing after me.