08

0 8

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

K I S S I N'

I N T H E

C O L D

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Adam wrapped his arms around my thighs and tugged me forwards into him. My hands landed on his broad shoulders and my hair messily fell in front of my face. Slowly, his hands rose up from the back of my thighs to my butt—making me squirm—then trailed around on my back.

"One last truth?" Adam lowly asked.

"One last truth."

One of his hands landed on my cheek while the other remained on the dip in my back. Even through my thin satin dress, I felt the intense coldness radiating off his fingertips as they imprinted on my back. "I came to the airport the day you left."

"What? You said earlier you didn't, that you didn't want to."

"I wasn't going to," he reexplained. "When I realized I wanted to see you one last time, I arrived too late. The plane had taken off a minute before I reached your terminal."

"Adam," I cried out.

"Please don't cry," he begged. "I can't handle your tears, not when they are because of me."

"You did so much and I never knew. I just let myself believe you despised me. I let go of you thinking you wanted that." I fell on the heels of my feet, discouragingly so. "It was really me who never did anything for you."

Adam swiftly moved me back, closer to him. "You've done everything for me. You inspired me." Adam nervously gulped. "The bar I bought awhile back, it's doing a lot better after some renovations. I've made a decent amount of money from it and invested it. I saw you do what you always wanted to and I knew I needed to do that too."

My eyes lit up from the news. My mom had told me Adam bought a bar but there was never any news besides that. "That's great Adam. I'm so proud of you. You deserve it."

He smiled, finally showing his bright whites. "Thanks. I wish you were there at the reopening. I told your mom about it, hoping she'd tell you."

"She didn't, but I didn't let her either. When she brought you up, I shut her down. It was too painful to hear about you, to know anything about you."

His thumb circulated strokes on my face. I leaned into his palm, accepting his gesture.

"I wish I said everything I wanted before," Adam earnestly said.

"At the airport?"

Adam shook his head. "The first moment I knew I was in love with you." My eyes widened. "If I had just told you how I felt, maybe we wouldn't have wasted years wondering about one another."

"W—When did you—"

"Since the first year I met you," he answered, not needing me to finish my question.

My eyes were definitely bulging out of my head now. Sure, I had cared about Adam but not in the first year we met. I knew I felt something around our third year at uni and by our last, I was beyond smitten with him.

"Adam, that's eight years!" I shrieked. He winced and waved his head back and forth, probably to stop the ringing I just created. "I couldn't ever tell."

"I didn't want you to. I didn't want to risk you leaving." His thumb ran over my bottom lip. "But that was stupid. So fucking stupid." Adam brought my head down until his dusted colored lips grazed mine. The last push was my choice and Adam knew it. Even through my pulsating heart and neck, I fluttered my eyes shut and pressed my lips firmly against his.

Eight years of pent up emotions and four years of longing spilled into our kiss. The softness, the coldness, the desperation. All off it. But more than that, it sealed our everlasting fate.

I'd never imagined that kissing Adam would feel right. He molded with me. And, I finally understood what he meant when he said that I was in his blood, because I felt him in mine. Adam teased at my bottom lip, nibbling at it. I leant further into his body.

We eventually broke away, trying to catch our breaths. Adam's lips puffed up, already swelling. "You're going to be the death of me," he groaned, slumping backwards.

"Maybe you'll be the death of me," I played back, amused. "Star-crossed lovers?" I pitched.

Adam's chest grumbled. "Fuck no. Nothing is going to stop me from having you, not even destiny."

"All's well that ends well," I whisper while leaning back into the embrace of his lips. Our kisses turned feverish and Adam held me against him, never intending on letting me go and I was beyond fine with that.

I had finally caught it. My lost dream.