Chapter 35: Make a stand

"He was more of a human than you'll ever be!" 

The door is pushed open as Leo and his father carry Cameron into the living room, carefully placing him down on the carpet in the middle of the room. Enzo now emerges and they all stand looking across at the lady, sitting in the opposite seat. "What is this?" She says, taking in the scene before her. 

"This your doing." Their father replies, his stance not wavering. 

"My doing? What have I done?" She clutched her chest in innocence.

"You hit me for kissing my best friend." Enzo replies.

"You forced me to study medicine." Leo adds. 

"You belittle me in front of our children." Their father exclaims. 

"You are all too sensitive." She half laughs trying to brush it off. She then turns her attention to Cameron laying on the floor. "That tutor has a screw loose. Do you know it attacked me?" She protests. 

"It was stopping you from hitting me mum!" Enzo now raises his voice. 

"You were being disrespectful in my house!" She now raises her own voice.

"Enough!" Their father shouts. "This isn't going to carry on any more." He now steps closer to his wife, pointing a finger. "For years I tolerated it. Tolerated the way you spoke to our boys, how you spoke to me. But I won't anymore."

She now stands up, trying to meet her husband's stance. "You are talking crazy. All of you!" 

Their father now runs a frustrated hand through his hair. "Because of you, I have just had to go fetch our kids from the community hall because you denied Leo the chance to go to an audition. And it took a synthetic who isn't even born with a human heart, to recognise the beauty in our children. A beauty you couldn't even see and now because of you, that love is gone."

The room now fills with silence. But it's short lived. Their mother now walks around Cameron on the floor, bending down to look closer, before standing back up. "You mean to tell me that this piece of machinery knows best for my children?"

"Don't call him that!" Leo shouts out. "He was more of a human than you'll ever be!" 

His mother laughs at the notion. "You expect me to believe that this thing knows my children better than me?"

"Our children." Their father utters, under his breath.

"I beg your pardon?" She questions.

"I said they're our children." Their father now walks directly towards his wife. "I never stood up to you. I never said anything against your actions, but now I am. You are cruel, unkind and have no heart. You are not the woman I married and I want you to leave." 

"What?" Their mother chuckles in disbelief. "You're telling me to leave my house?" 

"Our house. Our house and yes I insist you get out of this house right now unless you want your precious neighbours to see me throw you onto the street." Their father keeps his composure, with their mother's smirk soon dropping at the realisation that this was truly happening. She was actually going to have to leave. 

"You're making a big mistake." She says through clenched teeth. 

"No, I'm doing something I should have done a long time ago." The man replies. 

Within the hour...she is gone.

"Boys I am so sorry for everything." Their father replies, pulling them both in for a hug. "From now on I want both of you to be free to choose your own path and I will support you all the way, I promise." 

Both Leo and Enzo squeeze their father tightly, feeling the relief of being allowed to be themselves in their own home, but sad at the cost along the way. 

Leo pulls away from the embrace. "If Cameron has taught me anything in this world, it's to love myself. I owe him that at least..."

A/N so we're nearly at the end, but not quite yet...