Year 5 Part 1 (chapter 23)

Author's note:
Let's (not) welcome the toad!🐸
———————————————

Word count: 1.8k
Warning: Mentions of death

Severus is in his private home in Spinner's End, pacing around in the small living room.

He still can't get over the fact that Y/L/N's father is a Death Eater. As well as the fact that it was the Dark Lord who killed her mother, all because of her father's recklessness!

How could he even think of leaving the Dark Lord without any consequences? All because he didn't want a child to die.

Well, he made sure his own child lost her mother.

Severus still can't believe he forgot that night...

He then huffs. Speaking of Y/F/N Y/L/N, the coward left Malfoy Manor immediately once the meeting was over before Severus could question him.

Severus sighs before sitting down on his couch, taking a sip of his firewhiskey. Y/L/N has probably no idea that her father is serving the Dark Lord.

It suddenly hits him what Moody- Barty Crouch Jr. meant.

"You don't know him at all" he told the girl. He said it so harshly, which has to be because of her father's disloyalty to the Dark Lord. He did after all want to leave him, which Crouch Jr. most likely didn't like.

The Potions Master sighs in frustration. He's dreading the coming years now that You-Know-Who has returned...
______________________________

A little over two months later, the new school year at Hogwarts begins. Everybody is gathered in the Great Hall, cheering as the last first-year is sorted.

Once that student is sitting down on their seat, everybody diverts their attention to the Headmaster.

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave," Albus states as everybody starts whispering.

Ah, yes. The half-giant is currently on a secret mission for the Order of Phoenix.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher - Professor Dolores Umbridge" he says as he gestures to the woman dressed in all pink.

Severus and Minerva aren't even hiding their disgust for this woman.

The Potions Master huffs. Why does he always have to sit next to the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher?

The pink-dressed woman laughs, and it's a horrible, little girl-like laugh.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our Caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you-" Albus continues just as he's being interrupted by Umbridge giving her annoying laugh once more.

The Headmaster looks confused and surprised. Nobody usually interrupts him.

The annoying woman rises from her seat. Severus sighs in annoyance. Great, she's going to give a speech.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling at me" Umbridge says, giving an exaggerated smile as she looks at all the students' emotionless faces.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends" she says, still wearing that exaggerated smile.

"That's likely" the Weasley twins say in unison, sarcastically. The woman ignores them.