Chapter Eighteen

Today I wanted to meet with Toby to talk over what happened yesterday. I was going to leave it for a few days to mull over but I knew if I left it for too long, it would only end up bad. I also didn't want it to ruin our friendship because I do cherish the friendship that we have. Although it made me worry. Has he taken my friendship for flirting? Did it seem like I flirted with him? Did I cause this? I rid my head of those thoughts. I can't help how someone feels about me. No one can help how others feel about them.

Feelings are there and sometimes you can't get rid of them. Sometimes they're there to stay. But it isn't the other person fault, it's no ones. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. I guess Toby's heart wants me but my heart wants someone else.

To my surprise, Toby agreed to meet me. Damian wasn't happy about it when I told him because he didn't want Toby to try anything on me. Toby wasn't like that, which I told Damian. He was still uneasy about it so he told me to invite Toby over so that he could keep an eye on us both. At that point, I accused him of not trusting me which is how he came across. I know it was bad of me to throw that assumption around but I couldn't help but feel like he didn't trust me. However, it was the opposite of that. He didn't trust Toby. I did apologise to Damian to which he said that maybe he shouldn't have come across that way.

He gave me a kiss as an apology and also gave me a hug. After that, I did agree to invite Toby over. Toby asked why and I conjured up a quick and believable excuse. Nevertheless, he agreed and told me he was on his way. I did have to give him directions. I wasn't sure if my directions were very good but he told me he knew where I lived.

Damian and I waited, me making sure Damian at least hid when Toby was here. I knew Toby wouldn't want an audience when we spoke, especially if that audience happened to be Damian. I also didn't need Damian getting all jealous and "she's my girlfriend!" on him because that would give away our cover. In the morning, Damian and I discussed how we will keep our relationship a secret for now. It was only until we could tell Jake. We wanted to wait until he was here in person but also when we thought he was ready. Unfortunately, I don't think he would ever be ready. No matter how soon or how late we told Jake, I knew his reaction would not end very well. I feared that Damian would probably be on the floor being beaten up. I did not want that and I also didn't want them to not be friends. Thinking about Jake made me question why I actually agreed to be Damian's girlfriend. Surely none of this could end well?

I opened the door for Toby who had a sheepish smile on his face. I could tell he was also a bundle of nerves. The sheepish smile soon turned into a worried look. "Hey, Tobe."

"Um, can we just get this over and done with? I'm still embarrassed as it is and I honestly don't know why I agreed to this or why we even have to have this conversation." I knew I should've left it longer! But if he didn't want to talk then he would have said so, so surely he did want to talk if he's standing here where I live.

"Sure, sure." I offer him a drink, which he declines, and we make our way to the couch and take a seat. "So, we really gotta talk about yesterday. You kind of just ran off before we could clear things up."

"Obviously! How else do you think I would react? I just got rejected big time and made a fool of myself," he muttered with a sigh. "Look, I get it. I get that you don't like me back and as much as it's not fine with me, I've got to accept it. I don't want our friendship ruined because you are a great friend even though we haven't known each other for a long time. Kylie, I am sorry. I didn't mean to put you in an awkward position." He seemed sincere and it made me smile. He was a sweetheart and I know he will make a grey boyfriend to another girl one day.

"You're a great guy, Toby. You'll make a girl very happy one day, I hope you know that. So, I guess we forget everything that has happened? Just go back to being friends and nothing more?"