Chapter 84

***

***

She felt broken. Shattered. Worthless. Like she was nothing to him, though he'd been everything to her. She had trusted him in a time when she never let herself trust anyone.

Diana got on an empty carriage quickly with Layla, who had witnessed the whole scene and had resolved to remain quiet so she could give Diana some space and peace of mind.

With a great lurch, the carriage began moving forward upon the snowy ground, rambling its way up the long lane. Even though they were within a reasonably long distance from the castle, it could still be sighted from the carriage's window. A few minutes extended until they passed through the enormous iron gates of Hogwarts, and then the carriage slowly halted to a stop at the front doors of the castle.

"You okay?" Layla finally asked her in a gentle and careful voice as they emerged into the entrance hall along with the other students.

"I'm fine," Diana said casually, her expression unreadable, which was what worried Layla.

They took their seats at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, no other words exchanged between them for a while. But after a few minutes, Layla finally broke the silence when she said,

"Look over there. It's Regulus." Layla was pointing at the double-doors of the Great Hall. Diana glanced up, seeing that Regulus was walking in alongside with Snape, Avery, and Mulciber.

"What the hell is he doing with th — Where are you going?" Layla was speaking that Diana suddenly shot to her feet angrily.

Without answering Layla, she furiously paced toward the four Slytherin boys, a burning fire in her eyes.

"Where have you been?" Diana asked briskly as soon as she reached Regulus.

"Uh-oh. Looks like we're in trouble," Avery said in a mocking manner, sniggering.

"Shut your stupid mouth," Diana snapped at him angrily.

"Or what?" Avery smirked.

"Or I'll make you!" Diana made an angry move to leap forward fiercely, causing the boys to take a step back in fear. But Regulus was quick to hold her back.

"I was just sitting with them in their compartment. That's all." Regulus shrugged, as though it was of no importance and she was making a big deal out of it.

"They're bad news, Reg," Diana lowered her voice as she told him.

"You have no right telling him what he can and can't do, Greengrass," Severus said sharply.