Bonus Chapter - Adam POV

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

B O N U S

C H A P T E R

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

The Night Of Christmas:

My palms were sweaty and I tucked them in the uncomfortable slacks I wore. Formal dinners were my biggest pet peeves. I didn't need to go to this years Christmas dinner, yet I found myself on their doorstep.

I came every year even after Winter stopped showing. It's the closest thing I had of her, to her. Sometimes, as pathetic as it was, I'd travel up to her bedroom just to get a whiff of her intoxicating strawberry scent. I'd look around at the old photos and posters she'd displayed, trying to remember the better times between us.

I expected this Christmas to be no different. I would sulk, drink, and go home to pass out. I'd continue to waste away and enjoy it. But when I walked in and turned the corner to the open bar, I noticed the familiar and mesmerizing red hair shining under the light. It cascaded over her right shoulder, her long leg poked out from underneath her dress.

She was here. My Winter.

Except, she wasn't mine.

My brain practically chanted her name. I felt my feet move on their own, treading fast towards her, ready to spin her around and happily greet her. But I halted right as I was about to touch her shoulder.

My throat dried and perspiration began to transpire throughout my body. I felt like a teenager who had just discovered what a beautiful woman truly looked like. I quietly backed up before dashing outside where lights glistened, filling the dark sky.

Winter. Winter. Winter.

I rubbed my hands over my face and pinched the bridge of my nose. I kept yelling at my brain to stop. To not get wrapped up in a stupid obsession from college. To not want someone who was going to disappear the next day.

I should leave. I need to leave.

In the middle of my mental charade and debate, the sound of heels overtook my ears. I turned and there she was. In her glorious red dress that made her seem irresistible. So beautiful. My cock stirred in my pants and I inwardly groaned at my taboo response.

"Winter," I managed to sputter out even though I wanted to say more than that.

"Hi. I just...I didn't know anyone was out here." Her voice sounded small and innocent. The same voice that swooped me in at the beginning. She hadn't changed.

She seemed somewhat guarded, frightened even. And darkness formed in me. This was her fault. She left and she never came back.

But it was also my fault. I ruined her while simultaneously destroying myself.

"I was just about to head back in. The place is yours." I made a b-line for the door, ready to do what I did best, run. The girl of my dreams was finally in front of me and my first and only response was to get away from her.

I was about to touch the handle and disappear for good but Winter's mom wobbled out, asking for a favor. She wanted Winter and I to go somewhere alone. She obviously assumed we were still chummy with one another.

"Adam, dear, you know how Winter can be. Go with her?"

I knew she was referring to Winter's clumsiness. She always got into unintentional trouble. Wherever she went, chaos oddly followed. But nothing I couldn't handle.

I nodded, not prepared to be anywhere near Winter.

When we worked our way to the car, my eyes never left her. I took in every step and imprint she made in the snow, the way her hair moved with the light breeze, and how that strawberry scent still lingered on her body.

I was fucked. Absolutely fucked.