16. Knightmare

TW// mentions of murder, suicide, and of course, blood gore :)
you have been warned.....

10 days until the ball...

...

Espresso's POV
My soulstone was safe and sound in Madeleine's room in a drawer. Since then, I've only thrown up blood one time which was today only.

Honestly, that night, I was pretty exhausted. It was a long long day. As usual, I overworked my homework, I pushed way too hard by dancing which made me throw up the blood, and Madeleine had to go to knight practice which made me have to go on a tea party with the princess again.

Everything was ok, though. It was time for bed. I lay in bed and closed my eyes. "Good night, Espresso." Madeleine smiled hugging me quietly.

"No cuddles," I remind. I smile and hug my Madeleine plush tight, "Good night, Madeleine..." I whisper. I look back to see Madeleine stroking the plush of me as he held his eyes closed.

How can a cookie be adorable and hot at the same time by stroking a stuffed toy? I wasn't sure, but somehow Madeleine managed it.

Madeleine's POV
Espresso and I walked down the steps of the castle and smiled at eachother. "I had a good time out there," Espresso whispered.

Before I knew it, he grabbed my neck and kissed me with his soft smooth lips. I couldn't move. We had just finished our dancing lessons.

I grabbed Espresso's waist and closed my eyes as he kissed me. Once we stopped, we heard a loud crash in the distance.

We stood there in shock for a moment before a long black tentacle whipped around Espresso and yanked him away from me and into the dark forest. "ESPRESSO!" I shouted.

I took my sword and ran toward the forest with my sheild out. As I ran, I heard voices, I'm gonna kill him, Madeleine...

I felt panicked, No, DON'T HURT HIM I LOVE HIM, PLEASE! I wanted to shout back,

it was too late.

When I finally approached the tentacle that had stolen Espresso, he was hanging by a branch with a thick tentacle around his neck. I couldn't breathe. I dropped my sword and fall to my knees with tears racing down my face.

No... Espresso... I thought. I take a small dagger from my belt and stare at it with tearful eyes and shaky hands. I quickly stab myself over and over again with it and cry. THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!

I stab the dagger deeper in my chest and make sure I feel every single hit. "I HATE YOU!" I shout staring at my reflection in my sword, "I HATE YOU! THIS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

I twist and turn the dagger in my body crying harder and harder. "I hate..." I drool blood as I close my eyes and fall to the ground.

...

I sit up quickly and gasp. I feel my heart in my chest racing my lungs, I can't tell who's winning. I blink a few times and stare at my hands, then at Espresso. It was a dream...

Still breathing hard, I hug myself and quietly cry. I felt sick to my stomach. Shaky. I turn to Espresso and try to wake him in a panic. "Espresso, please wake up..." I whisper. I prayed that Espresso was still alive.

Espresso moaned quietly and sat up rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hand. "mmm... M-Madel-"

"I'm sorryy," I whisper in a shaky voice.

Espresso's eyes shot up in shock, "Holy shit- are you ok?!" he leaned over to me and cupped his hands on my cheeks.

Finally, I broke. I cried hard falling into Espresso's arms. I couldn't stop shaking and I couldn't breathe, I felt like I was going to die. "Hey! Shh shh shh, it's ok it's ok..." Espresso hugged me tight and rubbed my back. His voice was soft and kind, I loved it.

I hold onto him tightly and shake my head, "It's not ok!" I whisper. "You fucking died... YOU FUCKING DIED AND IT WAS ALL MY FAULT!" I shout shaking my head harshly and continued to panic.

Espresso lightened his grip on me grabbing his glasses from the nightstand slipping them on quietly. "Oh, dear..." he muttered. He hugged me tight and rested his chin on my shoulder. "It was just a nightmare, I'm right here, ok? Take deep breaths, it's going to be ok."

I listen to him and take fast deep breaths. "Slowly, hun," he whispered, "Rest here..." Espresso laid back on the bed as I rested my head on his chest. "Breathe with me, ok?" I nod and follow his breathing.

He never let go of me as we continued to breathe. I held on his clothing tighter and sat up a little bit. A tear of mine suddenly fell on Espresso's cheek. "I-I'm sorry..." I whimper.

All Espresso did was giggle and wipe it away himself. "It's ok, love..."

"You keep calling me love and hung..." I cried, "I thought you hated me!" I close my eyes and dig my face deep into his chest.

Espresso widened his eyes and frowned. He blushed hard, but he didn't hide it this time. "You called me love the first time I met you and... It made me feel like I had a friend." I frown. "I call you love to show you the same appreciation, and also I do not have you."

I sniffle, "Why are you ways so annoyed with me then?"

"That's just how I show my love, I guess..." he whispered holding me closer, "I'm not sure... It's just how I act but... I really do care about you, Madeleine." I look up at his calm smile.

I cry into his arms and smile, "Thank you Espresso," I force through. I rub against his chest and relax in his arms as he rubbed my back and played with my hair.

Espresso smiled and pet my head, "You're welcome, sunshine." I feel him slump down slightly on the bed and keep hold of me. He continued to stroke my hair until he fell asleep. His breathing made me feel so so safe.

It wasn't until then I realized how unsteady my own breathing was. I listened to his breathing and followed him.

In... 1, 2, 3... out... 1, 2, 3...