C h a p t e r 69

Very Mild Sexual Content Warning ⚠️

Chapter 69 : MadelynSaturday, August 28th, 2021

Saturday, August 28th, 2021

I don't remember when I fell asleep, but it was the vibration of a plane's wheels meeting concrete that stirred me from unconsciousness.

I knew my men had obliged when I asked them to take me home, however that didn't muffle any of the pain I began to feel the second my eyes opened.

My face was nestled against Alec's chest while his chin rested on top of my head, his one large arm wrapping around my shoulders.

He'd held me as I cried last night and he continued to hold me now, only this time he wasn't alone.

Somehow I just knew it was Caleb who was spooning me from behind, his leg pressed in between mine as his own arm wrapped around my waist.

I became increasingly aware of how low his hand placement was on my stomach, but like Alec, he was still very much asleep.

"You're up." Xavier's gruff voice brought my attention to the corner of the room, his eyes grazing over the three of us curled together on the much too small bed.

Something about his expression was cold, though—almost like he was distanced despite being only a small handful of feet away from me.

"Hi." I murmured on the side of caution, but his usual teasing smiles weren't here right now. This felt like the Xavier Caleb first introduced me to at the wedding, and it caught me off guard. "Everything okay?" I ask, feeling as Alec stirs a little at my front.

I can see the line of Xavier's jaw harden before he forces himself to let out a breath, but I knew this wasn't the same person who kissed my hurt hands last night.

"We just landed. I was coming to see how you were doing." He says, his tone not angry yet not exactly happy either. "There's no rush. I'll let you go back to sleep."

I didn't miss the fact my question remained unanswered, but I also didn't try to stop him as he left to go back into the main part of the plane.

He wasn't upset with me—I knew that, however in previous times when he was overwhelmed, his natural instinct was to distance himself and leave until he sorted through things on his own.

I hoped it would be different this time. I hoped he would come to me instead, or at the very least tell me where he was going instead of just disappearing.

To be completely honest, I was too tired right now to let myself worry.

There would be plenty of time to do that later, but I just wanted a break from feeling sad and complicated. I wanted to savor the heat of Caleb and Alec's skin pressed against mine, so I did.

I found comfort in the feeling of their snug embrace around my body, and it wasn't long before I felt my mind drifting off once again.

______