s i x

January 28th 2017
Somewhere on the Avengers Compound grounds

"Did I ever mention how much I hate running?"

Only about 700 times.

"Did I ever mention how annoying you are?"

"Come on, lover boy. You love me really."

Ember wasn't technically allowed out of the compound. But since she was with Steve, and since it was still on the Compound grounds, as long as it was completely under Steve's supervision, she could go for a run with Steve.

Yes, she would've preferred to stay inside. She would've stayed inside in her god forsaken jail cell.

"Please stop calling me that."

"No."

"You call someone that when they're in love. I'm not."

"You're in love with me. We've established this."

Steve rolled his eyes as they jogged further up the hill. He was going at a much slower pace than he liked, but Ember couldn't keep up.

"You're the one who keeps saying you want to sleep with me." He muttered under his breath, jogging slightly ahead of her.

"I heard that." She was struggling to keep up, but caught up with him and tried to match his strides eventually, "And who wouldn't want to sleep with you? Have you looked in the mirror?"

Steve ignored her and kept running.

"You don't talk much, do you Rogers?"

She was running out of breath, but determined to keep... Talking.

Steve just made some sort of grunt noise, but no real words came out and he kept running.

"C'mon, dude. I'm just trying to make conversation so this is slightly less awful."

"Ugh, I hate you." He mumbled under his breath.

"It's not good to lie to yourself, Rogers."

The rest of the run was pretty average. Ember flirted the whole time. Steve returned none of it, well he returned some, but only with glares.

The sun was rising over the hill they had just ran up, and now ran back down. And the compound entrance was coming back into view.

"Hurry up, I have to take a call in the conference room with Tony about the mission they're on."

"You're just saying that to make me run faster."

"No, I'm not. He just let me know right there that I need to call him."

"I don't believe you." And just to annoy him, she slowed down to a walk.

"Rose hurry up."

"No."

"Yes."

"You're so annoying."

"You love me."

Steve let out yet another sigh of annoyance.

"Rose, hurry up. I can't deal with your crap right now."

"No."

"Rose they're on a mission. Lives could be at stake and you're walking at a snail pace."

"I quite enjoy my snail pace, thank you very much."

"Fuck you, Rose."

"Wow, language, Captain. What has come over you? But I mean, if you really want to — Go ahead."