CHAPTER 49 ↠ years fly by

The rest of the year flew by

The rest of the year flew by. Bea continued to work the same job, as Tommy's secretary. They'd sometimes go on business trips to London, sometimes with Arthur, sometimes with Polly, sometimes alone, and they'd sometimes stay at Ada's house, but not always.

On her free time she continued to paint at Polly's house and sometimes even play the piano at Tommy's house, since he had one. Those times would also be used to see little Charlie, who still, for whatever reason, adored Bea, and to see baby Ruby.

Not often could she practice with Bonnie, but whenever they both had time, Bonnie tried to teach her some easy tricks.

Bea's 19th birthday and the Christmas of 1927 came and passed without her spending any time with Finn. But she made up for him in the beginning of 1928.

That was another year that flew by.

On Winter, they celebrated Finn's 2oth birthday with the Shelby's, and then alone at his apartment in Artillery Square. Winter ended and as soon as Spring started to mix with Summer, Bea and Finn started going to swim on the lake whenever they could.

Despite years passing, their relationship remained a secret to most.

Tommy started putting more and more trust on Bea, letting her handle things, like some meetings on his behalf alone. Whenever he did, she felt immensely proud and figured that a promotion for a more important job within the company was coming her way. 

Bea's own 20th birthday and the Christmas of 1928 were spent at Tommy's house, with the Shelby's and Jeremiah and Isaiah Jesus, and Bonnie and Aberama. That Christmas, Bea entertained everyone with a bit of piano after dinner.

"We could just tell them now," Finn whispers hopeful afterwards.

"Tell them what?"

"That we're together. I don't want to hide it anymore."

"I like the way things are now. I like that no one is involved in any of it, because it is no one else's business but ours."

"But—"

Bea grabs Finn's hand and caresses it. "Not now Finn. Let's talk about it later and find a better time to tell everyone."

Finn holds Bea's hand back.

"And, next week I'm departing for London," she adds.

"London? Why?"

"Tommy has ordered me to go there on business."

"Again? Are you going alone?"

"No. Tommy wanted me to take a man, since it seems that a woman is not enough..."

"It's just dangerous. There are many bad men out there."

"I have gone to London several times in the past couple of years. And I used to live there," Bea reminds him. "And I am a Gold. I don't need protection, especially not with what Bonnie has taught me."

"So, who are you taking?"

"Bonnie, of course."

"You could have asked for me."

"You need to stay at the Betting Shop. You have your own duties here. We all have duties. Besides, it'll be a good excuse for Bonnie to see our sisters."

"You go to London too often," Finn points out.

"I like London. Besides, this time is on business, requested by Tommy."

"What do you do there when you ask Tommy for vacations?"

"I have tea," Bea answers, annoyed by the inquire.

Finn scoffs but leaves it alone. 

That night, the same as the night before, when everyone was sleeping, Bea snicked into Finn's room and into his bed. 

The new year came and, as months continued to pass by, Bea was able to make Finn postpone telling anyone about their relationship.

Also, despite all the things in her charge, Bea was yet to be promoted by Tommy.

By October, doing the same things she'd done since she was 17, Bea was remarkable in her duties and even better at painting and playing the piano. For some reason, not doing it every day but doing so willingly, made her appreciate everything more.

There were no complaints from Tommy, and after having so many paintings done at Polly's house, Bea started handing most of them to Tommy, who would then sell them and donate all the profit to charity, who Bea insisted to be mostly The Grace Shelby Foundation. 

Telephone calls across the Atlantic were now possible, but when Tommy asked her if she would like to place one to Michael, who was now in Detroit, she declined.

Polly went on a cruise, which left Bea alone at her place. Often, she'd just stay with Finn in Artillery Square, refusing to even do anything at Polly's house when she was away. That was, in Bea's eyes, the biggest disrespect of all. 

Twenty-year-old Bea seemed like a completely different person from the 17-year-old that ran off to Birmingham on her own. She never acted spoiled anymore and would never whine until she got what she wanted. Instead, she would accept 'no's' and would hold herself with more grace than ever. She seemed even more wise and would share her wisdom with those around her. She was able to handle business meetings on her own, without ruining anything for Tommy or the company. At parties, she could speak with most important people about any matter that they would bring up. She would save her more playful, childish side to when she was alone with Finn, at the lake, at a park and at his apartment. 

Twenty-year-old Bea enjoyed life more than ever.