CHAPTER 51 ↠ wall street crash

A few days later, Tommy was camping with Lizzie and the kids and Finn left to London with Aberama and Isaiah

A few days later, Tommy was camping with Lizzie and the kids and Finn left to London with Aberama and Isaiah. Bea remained in Birmingham, but not alone, since Bonnie was keeping her company before going back to the camp he and Aberama had for a while now. Since almost everyone was away, Polly still in her cruise, Bea called her and asked for her permission for Bonnie, the only person keeping her company in those days, to sleep at one of the bedrooms at her house.

Bea would have a few days off soon, since both Polly and Tommy were having them now.

But, at the moment, she was at Tommy's office, working, with Bonnie watching her.

"Shouldn't you be boxing or something?" she wonders feeling Bonnie's gaze burning her.

"Not today. What are you doing?"

"Going over some records."

"Let's have some lunch," Bonnie suggests.

"I'm not yet done with this. And since everyone is away, I have more work. I need to look into the books of the Betting Shop." 

"Is Mr. Shelby paying you for all this extra work?"

"He is. And I expect I'll have a promotion soon. A more... official role within the company."

Bea finally looks up and frowns.

"Do you know why they went to London? Aberama, Finn...?"

"Business for Mr. Shelby."

"Why didn't you go?"

"Aberama can handle it, and Isaiah is there to help."

She was about the question something more when the telephone rang and she got up to pick it up.

"Thomas Shelby's office," she answers.

"Bea, it's Arthur," Arthur speaks.

"What's wrong? Is it Tommy?" she questions concerned since Arthur knew Tommy was away and he had never called her once since she started working for him.

"No, but I'm going to him now. You get a hold of a newspaper and see the news. Start doing whatever needs to be done."

Without leaving Bea a second to ask anything about what he was talking about, Arthur ends the call.

"What?" Bonnie asks relaxed, unlike Bea.

"Arthur just told me to get a newspaper and do whatever needs to be done."

"About what?"

"I don't know... Come on," she says as she starts going back to her desk to get her jacket and keys. "Let's go pick up a newspaper and have lunch."

"Yes!" Bonnie cheers as he stands up and follows Bea out.

The first page of the newspaper was self-explanatory on why Arthur wanted her to get one.

«BILLIONS LOST IN WALL STREET CRASH»

"For fuck's sake..." Bea whispers as she reads.

"What?"

"We lost it all in the stock market."

"What?"

"Tommy told Michael this was going to happen," she says handing him the paper. "Michael held on...Tommy warned him not to. We lost a whole fucking lot of money."

"Not 'we', Bea. You're not a Shelby."

"I work—"

"You work as a secretary, Bea," Bonnie interrupts, resting a hand on her shoulder. "You're not a Shelby, you're a Gold. You'll always be a Gold. So, if something goes wrong, you cut your losses and leave whatever business you have with anyone named Shelby. Finn included."

"Don't tell me what to do," Bea warns with anger, despite Bonnie speaking with kindness and only trying to assure her. "Especially not if it concerns Finn."

"Cut your losses and run," Bonnie repeats.

"Let's just go have some bloody lunch so I can go back and get to work."

"What can you do when all this happened in America?" Bonnie wonders.

"I can do whatever I can for the money and businesses we have in Birmingham." 

After lunch they went back. Soon Arthur came back and told Bea that Tommy would only be back tomorrow and that only then would the directors of the board — mostly just Shelbys — would have a meeting to discuss it, when Polly would be back from the ship and Ada from London.

At the end of the day Bea and Bonnie went to Polly's house to spend the night and the next day they went back and met Aberama in Small Heath.

"Are you coming to camp with us?" Aberama asks.

"Not yet. I need to see if I can still go with all this Wall Street business," Bea admits. "How did it go in London?"

Aberama chuckles. "Dug a bullet from Finn's arm."

"What?!" Bea asks shocked and scared, too loudly for the good of the secretive relationship. "Is he all right? What happened?"

"We were doing what Tommy sent us there to do, Finn got shot," Aberama says indifferent. "In my opinion, I think that foolish boy was trying to impress a girl."

"Impress a girl?" Bea asks taken aback.

It hadn't been long since Bea talked to Finn about finding his place in the business and family. Could her words have led to him being reckless and getting shot? That was definitely not what Bea wanted from that conversation. Far from it. She wanted him to be safe and deal with legal business, not the sporting stuff.

Bonnie stares at Bea, wanting to comfort her from whatever negative feelings she might be having in that moment.

Aberama just shrugs and dismisses the conversation. "So you're staying here?"

"Yes. But I'll go to camp as soon as Tommy says I can take the days off."

"We're still in the same location," Aberama says as they had been hiding. "You know how to get there and what to do."

"I do. Don't worry."

"Take care here," Aberama says before giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Bonnie hugs her. "We'll speak at camp," he simply whispers before letting go and going away with Aberama.