Nine | Council

Visena slept like she was dead. Then after hours of stillness, her mind became busy. Frantic. 

Fuck.

Despite this, the tiredness wouldn't ebb no matter how long her body tossed and turned in the crisp sheets.

Even moonlight was too bright behind her eyelids, and the sheer blinds were no help at all. Almost giving up hope, she rose, her feet lightly slapping the hardwood. At first, Visena planned on getting water from the kitchen when that damned mouthwatering scent closed its vice grip on her nostrils.

 Earth and Spice.

Without thinking, she tiptoed down the hall and tapped her fingernail on the door. As expected, there was no answer, but instead of being a deterrent, it made Visena braver. Pushing open the door as lightly as possible, she was met with a solid wall of burning flesh. Her forehead bumped into Gideon before she realised he was there. 

When her half-lidded eyes met his, she was enthralled. The olive orbs contained flecks of gold that glinted under the moonlight. "Beautiful." Her hand laid flat against his oblique, and he tensed.

"What do you need, Visena?" Gideon's voice was low but clear. He hadn't been asleep either.

"Can't sleep. Can I hang out with you?" The top of the black door splintered slightly as his nails dug into its wood. Gideon sighed before releasing his grip and dropping the hand to pull the door open.

Visena ducked under his arm and headed back to his cloud bed. Jumping up, she sat cross-legged and stared at him expectantly. The curtains did fuck all in this room, too, she thought. 

After closing the door and running a hand through his hair, Gideon walked over and half reclined on the bed. He was shirtless and wore grey sweatpants. She kept her gaze, respectfully, on his face. 

It was a challenge. 

"How did I get to bed?" Her question was more to fill the silence than actual curiosity. Nevertheless, she knew what had happened.

"I carried you." His response was curt.

No nonsense... okay... "Why weren't you sleeping?"

"Why weren't you?" Gideon sighed then, already tired of the act. "I'm sorry, I've been waiting on a few packs to confirm loyalties this afternoon. Unfortunately, it seems like we'll be fighting our kind no matter what course we take."

Visena scooted closer, "You don't want that?"

His head shook, "I shouldn't be telling you all this. You aren't a pack member, and you aren't even a wolf." Gideon ran his hands over his face, and Visena took the opportunity to lie next to him, facing the ceiling. They were at least two feet apart, so she wasn't intentionally being suggestive. When he moved his hands, his head turned down to look at her face. "What are you doing?"

It was rather obvious to Visena. "Lying down."

Gideon grumbled. "What if, when you get your memories back, you are some evil Faery that kills my whole pack?" 

Visena scoffed and rolled to face him, rising onto her elbow. "Is that what you're worried about? First of all, I don't remember much, but I know Fae aren't evil, thank you very much. And I wouldn't hurt you. Or anyone from this pack. I just know it." She dropped her head back down on a pillow and curled up slightly. "I feel like I know you or knew you from before. Is that weird?"

Gideon was silent, which spurred Visena on. "I know I would never be so comfortable around anyone, let alone lie on their bed after knowing them for two days. It's weird. I don't have memories, but I just know stuff..." She let her voice trail off.

"Very weird."

"He speaks, " she whispered with a smile.

Gideon turned on his side, too, head resting on his forearm. After an easy silence, Visena couldn't help the grin that reached her face. She poked her tongue at him playfully and snuggled down. Her mannerisms surprised Gideon as he failed to stifle a warm chuckle.

With a gentle coaxing from the Fae, Gideon shared many things. They talked for hours in the moonlit room. His upbringing as the Alpha's son and the expectations put on him as a boy. After his parents died, Liam, Prim, Orion, and Eve had become his new family.

He shared how different packs challenged his title because of his age. Twenty was very young to take over as Alpha, but his chosen family worked alongside him to make the pack what it was. He was left to raise his little brother, who became an excellent Gamma the previous year at nineteen. 

Many others held the Invictus pack in high esteem and were viewed as a dangerous group to make an enemy of. That must have been why Malum Pack was being cautious. 

The Council had been unhelpful in all of Gideon's correspondence which was why he was wide awake at two AM. He believed they were plotting something. 

Two members of each species led the Council. Fae, Wolf, Vampire, Witch, and human. They were notorious for remaining neutral in times of crisis. When she had probed further, she discovered they weren't even voted into their positions. Instead, the role was simply passed down from the first creatures who decided to call themselves, 'The Council.'  

They didn't have a valid claim over the different species; they just surrounded themselves with weapons, trained killers, and robust legislation. Any pack could be disbanded or destroyed at the Wolf Council's discretion. "They sound like pretentious assholes", Visena had said.

"Dangerous, pretentious assholes," Gideon added.

Gideon's story was insightful and filled the void in Visena's brain. She was glad someone's memories could have a home in her mindscape. 

Eventually, conversation slowed, and the pair's breathing deepened. Each prolonged inhalation left Visena leaning closer to the owner of the spicy, earthy scent. Finally, sleep quieted her mind but it didn't stop her body from melting into Gideon's warmth. A place she stayed for the rest of the night.

...

Gideon woke first.

 His nose was buried in Visena's hair which he promptly shifted only to discover his hands were tucked under hers. Then, after a gentle nudge on the shoulder, she began to unfurl, and he saw it. She was holding his hand. Her dainty, scarred fingers were draped over his.

 It took everything not to pull her in again and sleep the day away, but he had to check on the sparring wolves.

Visena woke with a slight gasp pulling her hands to her head. Gideon already missed the warmth. "I had a dream about my father."

Gideon sat up and pulled a shirt on, "What happened?"

"It was fuzzy, but I know it was him. He was training me outside a small house."

"Well, it would make sense after seeing you fight yesterday." Gideon went to brush his teeth, and Visena followed him to the bathroom.

"There were flat stones around it in a ring, and I would hop around on them. It almost looked like a Fae ring..."

Gideon hummed in interest with the toothbrush in his mouth.

"I think it was my home." Visena sighed happily, resting her elbows on the counter with her chin cradled in her palms.

Gideon finished and washed his face. "You don't think you lived in the Fae realm?"

"No, it was Earth. I'm sure of it." Visena padded towards the bedroom door.

"Where are you going?" Gideon called after her.

"To get ready for training." She smiled, and with a wink, she disappeared down the hall. 

~~~~

Is anyone else as smitten with these characters as I am?

Thanks for reading; loves,

Until next time xx