WORKING WITH KIDS?

octavia knocked on the college advisor's half open door, "ms. lightfoot?"

the curly haired teacher peered from behind the door, she seemed a bit startled. it looked like she was looking through the file cabinet, "oh hi ms. sawyer! come in. have a seat." she said closing the cabinet and sitting in her chair.

slowly, octavia sat in the chair opposite her advisor. "ms. lightfoot, im here because i got an email yesterday saying to meet you here during my study hall. and well, i have study hall first period."

octavia watched as she struggled to tidy her desk, dropping a few things in the process. she bent down to pick up ms. lightfoot's name tag, "uh.." octavia started, "miss, if you need me to come back later.. i can."

"oh no. you're fine. its just first days, honey." she said typing on her desktop, "ah let's see.. octavia sawyer." ms. lightfoot continued, "im meeting with all the juniors this week about college. i see here that you have a 3.7 GPA, which is very good. but you are lacking in extracurriculars. you have ice skating--half of freshman year and that's about it."

octavia laughed to herself, "um with all due respect miss, i think ill be just fine with a 3.7 and no extracurriculars."

ms. lightfoot interlaced her hands together, "ms. sawyer, where do you want to go to school?"

"berkeley." octavia said shaking her head.

"and just how many people with 3.7 GPA's do you think are going to be applying there? you need more than a good GPA to get into there."

octavia was dumbfounded. ms. lightfoot noticed and took the opportunity, "so here's what we are going to do. we have many volunteering options if you don't want to join any clubs or sports."

"whatever's the least popular volunteering option should be good for me." octavia said trying to sneak a peak at her desktop.

ms. lightfoot scrolled through the options, "so volunteering at linden recreation center on tuesdays and thursdays after school at 4? you'd be somewhat of a counselor for the kids who go."

"working with kids?" octavia nearly cried.

"its settled, so if you'll excuse me." ms. lightfoot got up from her desk chair and towards her office door, "i'm going to get myself some coffee, if you can believe it, i'm going to have a lot more meetings like this today."

octavia sat there in the office alone, "working with kids.."

a.n. working with kids..