00.04

vote • comment • follow

╔═══════════════╗「 chapter | four 」   ❛❛ you've got me nervous to speak ❞  ╚═══════════════╝

╔═══════════════╗
chapter | four
❛❛ you've got me nervous to speak
╚═══════════════╝

SCOLDING MY BROTHER has been a normal occurrence ever since I moved out and bought my own apartment, a year ago.

"They let you go to Cambodia for two weeks and you thought it was a good idea to go to a strip club full of underaged teenagers. You're so lucky we're out in public and that I love you. I was your age two years ago and I did stupid shit too, so I understand. But seriously, you get shit-faced drunk and end up on Cambodian Central News because you decided that it'd be a good idea to climb a moving bus as if you were in a spider-man movie." Don't get me wrong, Rivyn's a good kid. But the crowd he hangs around makes him do really shitty things. My brother may be as smart as a whip, but when it comes to peer pressure—he breaks. Hopefully college will change that for him and he finds the right crowd.

"Come on, it wasn't that serious." Wasn't that serious? I huff out a humorless laugh, trying my hardest to understand where he's coming from. He's just a kid, he's just a kid, I whisper the mantra to myself before speaking again.

"Hun Sen contacted dad directly. The Prime Minister, Rivyn. The fucking Prime Minister,"

"It was pretty funny, though. You should've seen the amount of traffic—" He says before I cut him off sharply, "If you see dad, tell him I'm leaving early. I don't have time for this." He wanted to have fun, I understand that. But he thinks it's some sick joke and it's not.

"Look Arsyn, I'm sorry. You're my favorite sister and I didn't mean to upset you—"

"I'm your only sister."

"But if we had a sister, then you'd definitely be my favorite." God, this kid is going places. Maybe prison in a foreign country, but he's definitely going places. I try to hide my smile behind a small cough.

"Whatever, just tell dad I won't be here all night. Say I have to wake up early tomorrow—anything to make me leave this thing before I lose my sanity." Rivyn chuckles, squeezing my arm once before he disappears into the large crowd of people parading the dance floor.

Facing my body toward the bar, ready to order a drink. "I think you're pretty sane," a guttural and husky voice says. My head whips to the side—almost breaking my neck in the process, to find the stranger ordering a drink.

As he turns to look at me, only to find that I'm looking at him also, his breath catches in his throat. And he clears his throat to mask his reaction to me. Talk about an ego booster, I smile to myself.