Chapter 2.1

Lisa's purpose wasn't to give her uncle a hard time and disturb him from whatever he was doing, so she quietly sat down somewhere and minimized her presence.

Following her, Jungkook stepped into the room with Jae. He swept his gaze over the Manoban family but paid no attention to the girl who would most likely become his wife. Instead, he walked directly to his mother, greeted her with a nod, and sat down without saying a single word.

"This is my eldest son, Jungkook. Jungkook, this is the president of Manoban Foodstuffs, and these are his family members."

Jungkook nodded. "Hello."

Manoban Liren chuckled in an attempt to thaw the somewhat cold atmosphere that had overtaken the room. Though Jungkook seemed to have no interest in the Manoban family, it was the opposite for the latter. They had not taken their eyes off Jungkook since he entered the room.

Mrs. Manoban preferred the gentlemanly Jeon Huai, but Jungkook didn't look too bad either. The scar near his cheek was fierce but not terrifying, and while he did seem to have a poor attitude, this was not an uncommon characteristic among the rich young masters of the upper class.

Meanwhile, Manoban Kai envied Jungkook's physique. The man emitted masculinity from head to toe; the muscles of his exposed arms alone were enough to make Manoban Kai jealous.

Manoban Zhizhi, on the other hand, wasn't as optimistic. Jungkook wasn't like what she had imagined at all. She'd expected Jeon Huai's brother to be another gentleman, not a man who would wear a t-shirt and tight jeans to a marriage meeting. There was even a scar on his face!

"Jungkook, right? I heard you were a soldier in the military," Mrs. Manoban asked with a smile.

"Yes, but I retired two years ago due to an injury," Jungkook answered unconcernedly.

'Injury? Where? It must've been a serious one if it forced him to retire from the military...'

Wu Zhizhi secretly observed the man and recalled his movements from when he walked into the room. Fortunately, he wasn't crippled.

"Oh... how is your injury now? Have you recovered?"

"Don't worry, I recovered from it a long time ago. There aren't, and won't be, any repercussions." Jungkook chuckled coldly.

"Oh... I didn't mean it like that, "Mrs. Manoban hurriedly denied. "I was just worried."

"Watch what you say, Jungkook!" Mrs. Jeon scolded before turning to Mrs. Manobanwith a smile. "My son was in the military for a long time so his attitude isn't the best, but he's not a bad person."

"A former soldier who was willing to risk his life to protect our country is naturally a trustworthy person!" Mr. Manoban echoed. The success of this marriage meeting was tied to the life and death of his family enterprise. They couldn't afford to mess this up!

Before coming here, Manoban Liren had asked around about Jungkook. Aside from having a bad attitude, the retired soldier was clean and healthy with no major issues. Otherwise, Manoban Liren wouldn't have agreed to introduce his precious daughter to him.

After another round of greetings, Lisa finally realized what was going on. So this was a blind date for her cousin, and the partner was the eldest son of the Jeon family?

Feeling a gaze, Jungkook looked up and immediately identified the perpetrator as Lisa. She immediately froze, then after an awkward pause, she offered him a sheepish smile.

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. It seemed that his marriage prospect this time was a bold one, free of the fake reservedness the other girls he'd met had put on show.

"Look, Jungkook. This is President Manoban's precious daughter, Zhizhi." Mrs. Jeon introduced.

"Hello, Jungkook da-ge. I'm Manoban Zhizhi." Manoban Zhizhi showed a perfect smile, with just the right amount of shyness.

What type of person hasn't Jungkook encountered? With just one glance, he was able to discern the disdain in her eyes. 'How ugly.'

"Ignorant?[1] That's an interesting name."

[1] "Wuzhi" means ignorant. It's written differently from how Wu Zhizhi's name is written, but they are pronounced the same way.

The expressions on the Manoban family's faces immediately changed, and Manoban Zhizhi almost cried out in anger.

"Jungkook!" Mrs. Jeon interrupted. "I told you to watch what you say!"

Mr.Manoban signaled his wife with a look. She immediately smiled and said, "Don't worry about it! I'm sure young master Jungkook was just joking. First meetings are always awkward, after all. Why don't we let the two of them go out and take a walk together? It'll help them get to know each other better!"

"That's a good..."

"That won't be necessary," Jungkook interrupted. "As I've said, I don't care who I marry. What's important is who Jae chooses to be his mother."

As soon as the words left his lips, even his own family members, who had already known about his plan, frowned. Of course, the expressions on the Manoban family's faces were worse. Manoban Zhizhi looked like she was going to cry.

"President Manoban, Mrs. Manoban, please don't misunderstand. This child is the orphan of Jungkook's deceased military comrade. He's adopted," Mrs. Jeon hurried to explain.

Their expressions eased a little.

"Though Jae and I are not related by blood, I will treat him better than I would treat my own son," Jungkook said as he looked at the Manoban family. "In other words, if my future wife fails to treat Jae well, I will not have any children with her.

'Bullshit!' Wu Zhizhi bit her nails in resentment. 'I don't even want to marry you!'

"Haha..." Manoban Liren forced out a laugh. "What a coincidence. Our Zhizhi loves children. She helps out in an orphanage whenever she has time."

"Really? I didn't know Zhizhi was such a kind girl!" Mrs. Jeon seemed to have already accepted Manoban Zhizhi as her daughter-in-law.

Jungkook chuckled coldly. Lowering his head, he whispered to Jae, "Jae, do you remember what daddy said to you earlier? Look up."

The room fell silent as everyone waited for the little boy's answer. One minute, two minutes... Just as they were about to run out of patience, Jae lifted his head.

Lisa was shocked. Wasn't this the boy she bumped into earlier?

As though conscious of her gaze, Jae looked over at Lisa. She gave him a kind smile.

The boy seemed to be frightened. He quickly ducked his head and fiddled with the toy gun in his hands.

Jungkook looked at the bewildered Lisa strangely. She thought she was pretty popular with children. Why was the little boy frightened?

"Jae,Jae. It's Granny." Mrs. Jeon moved closer to the child and coaxed, "Can you lift your head and look at the auntie sitting across from you? She's very pretty. Do you want her to be your mommy?"

Jae didn't look up, so Mrs.Jeon continued to coax him. It wasn't until the last moment that he finally lifted his head and stared at Manoban Zhizhi for three minutes. Three silent, unblinking minutes.

Manoban Zhizhi felt her cheeks become stiff from smiling.

"Jae, do you like this pretty sister?" Mrs. Jeon asked patiently. However, the boy had already lowered his head again. Under everyone's watchful gaze, he suddenly leaned back against Jungkook's chest and closed his eyes.

Everyone: ...