Chapter 3

Raul was doing laundry when he heard the front door open and close.

"Dad, where you at?" Carlito loudly called out.

"Laundry room," Raul replied just as loud.

"All right, Dad," Carlito snapped as he walked into the laundry room, "that was mean of you this morning. You can't just drop a bomb about your wolf dying and leave. So, now you will explain everything you have obviously been hiding from me."

After turning the dryer on, Raul turned to find Carlito and Dianne watching him. With a heavy sigh, Raul suggested, "Let's go and sit down."

Carlito turned and followed Dianne and Raul was right behind them.

Once they were all seated in the living room, Raul began by saying, "It's true, my wolf had given up. You know as well as I do, Carlito, the moment your mama died, he was ready to die too. He only stayed because you needed him, and now that you're of age, we could finally let go. He felt it was now time to join your mama in the afterlife."

"You would leave me?" Carlito asked, a sad expression on his face.

"It is the way of the wolf Carlito, and you know that. Besides, you have your mate now. It's not like you would be alone. Yes, you would miss me, but you would have her to fill the emptiness," Raul said. Watching hurt cross his son's face he continued, "If she were gone tomorrow, would you not wish to follow her, even knowing you would be leaving me behind?"

Carlito turned to gaze lovingly at Dianne. "I would only be half a person if she were gone."

"Exactly, and that's after only two days. I had your mama for twenty-two years. She was my everything for so long," Raul said. He leaned forward then, elbows on his knees, and covered his face with his hands.

"But something changed, didn't it, Mr. Desoto?" Dianne asked him softly.

Raul raised his eyes to look at her, placing his chin in his hand. "You are a smart girl Dianne, and yes, something did. Yesterday, I went to a café for lunch, not because I was hungry since I never am anymore, but just wanting out of my office. I had just been seated and was waiting to order when..." he stopped looking at his son. He swallowed hard because he feared how Carlito would take what came next.

Carlito sighed. "I know you loved Mama and will always have a place in your heart for her. I don't want to be selfish and keep you from being happy. Yes, it's hard for me to think about you seeing someone, but you gave up a lot to raise me all alone. I really do want you to be happy Dad, even if it is hard to think about you with someone else."

Raul sat back and smiled at his son. "I'm glad to hear it because she's already asked to meet you."

Dianne squealed. "So, you did meet someone?"

"I did," Raul agreed. "She walked by me, and she smelled so good, like peppermint. My wolf told me to follow her, and I did. I ended up taking her to lunch yesterday, and today."

"Isn't that moving a bit fast, Dad?" Carlito asked, the storm clouds appearing on his face again.

Dianne jabbed him in the side with her elbow and he turned her way.

"What? It is! Two dates in two days. Sure, I want him happy but..." Carlito exclaimed, clenching his hands into fists.

"Your dad's been alone for five years Carlito, let him be happy. It's not like he brought her home and danced the horizontal tango with her," Dianne said as she smacked his leg lightly.

Raul laughed at the disgusted look on Carlito's face.

"The horizontal tango? Seriously, Dianne. He's my dad, I don't want to think about him... him... ugh!" Carlito shouted as he closed his eyes and turned his face to the ceiling.