Chapter 1

Life is never fair,
not to everyone.
Life is never kind,
not to everyone.
We all have our ups and downs,
and our pain and grief
our tears to wipe
and one more day of sorrow to live
So what exactly is it
that makes the life
worth it?
- Author of Aadya's story
(so it has my copyright.)

"Life is never fair." Rose said as she picked up the receiver of the corded telephone.

"What?"

"He left me in tears again, Emma."

"What? Wait! Rose. Don't do anything to yourself. I'll be there soon."

"Wait, why are you coming here?" Rose asked.

"Aren't you going to take your own life?" asked the worried Emma from the other end.

Rose laughed. "What made you think that I was going to commit suicide?"

"The death speech you gave just now and your hoarse voice told me that something was off. Tell me if someone broke your heart and I'll beat up his ass with a stick and break his bones."

It made Rose laugh through the tears. "Sorry to worry you. I was re-reading the novel you had gifted me. Its ending is so sad that even after reading it for the second time I cried. The last line of the book was 'Life is never fair' that's where I end the story when I picked up the phone."

Emma was quiet for a minute before she finally spoke, "I'll kill you, Rose. I thought a guy broke your heart."

Rose laughed again as she closed the book she was reading and lied on the bed. "I was born single and I am going to single and that's the fact and eternal truth."

"Bullshit! I'll introduce you to someone good."

"No. I do not have time for relationships." Rose answered as she tried to find a way to divert her friend's attention.
"How did you remember me today?"

"Ah, yes. Dr Mathews was trying to reach you but your phone is switched off so he asked me to contact you."

"Oh, my phone is on charging. It's battery runs out unannounced and so soon."

"That thing you call smartphone is on it's death bed taking its last breaths. Buy a new one and put the old one in a grave. It's 4 or 5 years old already."

"Exactly we are in such a long relationship and I won't give it up yet." Rose chirped as she switched on her phone.
"Shit! 23 missed calls from doctor Mathews?"

"He said he has something to discuss with you. You have to report to his cabin at 2:00 p.m. sharp." Emma informed.

"Aright. I'll be there." Rose answered as she looked at the clock on the side table. "It's 1:00 p.m. already. I have to get ready. I'll meet you at the hospital."

"My new patient's parent is chewing up my head so I have to visit his house today. Let's arrange another day."

"Cool. bye."

"Bye."

*****

"How are you doing, Rose?" Dr Mathews smiled at her as she entered his cabin.

"Great as always."

"Just now I was talking to Frank's parents. It's not just the child but also his parents who are in awe of you. His leg has healed so well."

"I am glad." She smiled politely.

Since the age of 19, Rosaile Roberts was working as a caregiver in nursing homes but then found her joy in child care services. Now within span of five years she had come to earn trust not just from her clients but also of the doctors.