one eleven - reset

Kagami blinked.

The early morning light caused him to raise his hand to shield his face. Where-

He was in front of Seirin. Oh, right, he recalled. It's the first day of high school. Clubs were out front, calling out to people to try and recruit first years.

"Interested in rugby?"

"Have you ever played shogi?"

"Akashi would love that," He uttered without realizing that, then stopped in his tracks. "What the.. who's Akashi?"

"You gotta play baseball if you're Japanese!"

"Swimming! It feels great!"

"Basketball! Basketball club! How'd you like to join the basketball club?" The redhead finally heard one that was much more up his alley. As a slight smirk slid onto his face, his earlier words were forgotten as he headed towards the voice.

"Koganei, you can't be serious."

"How else am I supposed to say it?"

"New kids, join the basketball club! The basketball club needs some serious help!"

"I've had enough of your jokes, Izuki! Mitobe, make sure they can hear you! ...He isn't even gonna open his mouth. How scary.."

"Join the club and you'll be cute too!"

"Are you guys the basketball club?" Kagami asked, standing in front of Koganei. Soon enough, he ended up dragging the second year with him as his 'guide' even though he felt he knew where the table for the basketball club sign ups was.

"-if they could just bring in a few promising ones, that would be-" Riko broke off as Koganei was hung in her face.

"The new students are here," He whimpered tearfully.

"What?"

"Is this the basketball club?" Kagami asked as her eyes trailed up the redhead's form until they finally reached his face.

"Yeah.." She eventually nodded after taking a second to gawk. This feels too familiar, Kagami thought to himself as he let Koganei go.

"I want to join," He said, sitting down in front of the coach and captain. How do I know this? "The basketball club," Kagami added when all he got after the first sentence was more gawking.

"Welcome, welcome!" The coach said excitedly as Hyuuga passed her a cup of tea. "Just wait a sec! I'm sure you know," She set the cup down in front of the first year. "but our school only opened last year. Our seniors are only second years, so I'm sure someone of your build would probably quickly-"

"I don't care," He interupted, "I'm going after I leave my name," He did just that, jotting his name on the application form.

"Huh?" Riko peered at the paper. "You don't have a reason for joining?"

"Not really," The redhead replied after having finished the tea, scrunching the paper cup in his hand before standing up. "Basketball's the same, no matter where you go in Japan," Kagami stated, turning away and tossing the crushed cup behind him into the trash can.

With a huff, he was on his way.

"Why does it feel like I'm missing something?"

~•~

After school was over, the prospective members of the basketball club and the returning members gathered in the gym. "Looks like all the first years are here!"