EIGHTEEN

november 4th, 1984

"JUNKYARD? WHAT JUNKYARD?" Aven asked as she climbed out of the car, running a hand through her loose hair.

"The junkyard," Dustin said, throwing out jazz hands as if it were obvious. He moved around the back, popping open the trunk to drag out the few buckets of smelling meat.

Aven sighed, crossing her arms as she peered cautiously around their forestry surroundings. She didn't hear Steve shutting his car door, or walking around the vehicle, or moving to lean against the car behind her. She didn't notice anything until his shoe nudged her own.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked worriedly, brows pinched together with concern. Aven forced a smile, softly shrugging as her eyes averted back to the forest landscape before them. "Come on, talk to me."

Aven's sight flicked to the ground for a moment. "I don't know, Steve. I just . . . what is this? What's happening? I feel like the world's about to end because everything I've known ever is just . . . breaking apart."

Steve frowned, beckoning her closer. "What do you mean?"

Aven sighed before looking up at him, stepping those few steps forward until there was a mere few centimetres of a gap left between their shoes. "How has this stayed here? Like, the secret. How has no one else found out, and how does it even exist? There are laws, Steve, scientific laws we studied for years. Decades. For, like, ever. Ho- How . . . it's crazy."

Steve tilted his head, his lip twisting up to the right. "Everything's a little crazy sometimes."

Aven studied him. Her eyes flicked between his own, watching the hazel flecks dance around with glee, before her sight fell to his lips. His bright, pink, smirking lips. His.

She forced herself to look up before he could notice. "When did you get so wise, Steven?" She teased, sending a light jab to his shoulder.

He laughed as he leant back gently, his head tilting up to face the sky with a grin. "I've always been wise. How haven't you noticed?" She parted her lips to snap back a snarky response, but he merely lifted a finger to rest against her lips with a smirk. "Wait, I already know. It's because my devilishly good looks are too distracting, right?"