TWENTY ONE

november 4th, 1984

"AVEN, I'M SORRY. I didn't mean it, I swear."

As soon as the pair on the rooftop had travelled down from the risky position they were in, allowing themselves a few moments to collect and calm their flushed bodies before descending back inside the van, the kids had thrown themselves at them. They all shared exclamations and mute sincerities, apologising for things they weren't even certain about. One thing was for sure though, Dustin couldn't push the nagging feeling tugging at his heart away.

"Dustin," Aven repeated for a fourth time, reaching behind her to rub a hand through his curly locks. They stepped further away from the junkyard. "I told you, don't worry about it. One apology is enough."

"But it's not! You could've died up there and you would've thought I hated you, and that's just wrong!"

Aven warmed, her face softening with admiration and pure astonishment. "I know, buddy," she whispered as she stopped, pulling him into a hug. He squished his head into her body, trying to disappear. "I know."

"Did they get you?" Max asked as she stopped, causing everyone else to fall short of movement too. The girl pulled on Lucas' jumper, drawing him back to the group, as Steve paused beside the teen running a hand up and down Dustin's back.

"No," Aven muttered as she looked out into the treeline, back into the junkyard. "But they could've. That's what I don't get, why'd they run?"

"Was it Steve?" Dustin asked as he slowly drew away from the older girl, sparing her a smile.

Lucas scoffed. "Yeah, sure," he said sarcastically.

"No," Steve said with a shake of his head as his sight locked into the distance. "They were going somewhere."