TWENTY TWO

november 4th, 1984

THE GROUP HESITATED as they came to a break in the dense trees. Wind echoed around them, almost pushing, beckoning them forward. The silence hung over each individual like a rain cloud, though the only clouds in the air were the ones by their feet, disguising the ground. They couldn't see the branches on the floor, or the small dips in the dirt, or the footprints they'd left trailing behind them. Steve's flashlight glistened as it shone down upon the fog. Aven pulled her jacket tighter around her arms.

Steve shushed them all, ignoring the fact that nobody had said anything, as they stepped out into the opening. Max and Lucas gaped up at the giant building beside them with both wonder and fright, ignoring the other set of flashlights pointing in their direction from across the small slope in the Earth.

Aven held her hand up to her face, shielding her eyes to try and make out a familiar shape, while Steve copied her actions and stepped in front of everyone.

"Steve?" Jonathan almost yelled, his voice a mixture of surprise and disbelief.

The boy beside Aven let his guard down, her taking the sign of the relieved slumping of his shoulders as a safe indication to step forward.

Steve lowered his flashlight slightly. "Jonathan?"

"Aven?"

The girl in question stepped even closer, her eyes squinting through the blaring light to pick apart a familiar face. "Nancy?"

"God, what are you doing here?" Nancy asked as she moved forward, leaving Jonathan standing alone. Aven furrowed her brows. The girl's voice hadn't been condescending, not at all being portrayed in a mean way. It was almost dejected, sympathetic. Nancy pulled the girl into a hug. She couldn't have wished the curse of the Upside Down upon anyone, especially not Aven Hargrove.