TWENTY FOUR

november 4th, 1984

THE RUBBER GLOVES did little to mask the feeling of slimy rubbish slipping between Aven's fingers. Gunk. Oil. Thick liquids that left a lingering smell wafting through the air beneath her nose. She cowered, her face scrunching with disgust, as she tried to hide her face behind her elbow.

Hopper had assigned tasks throughout the house. Steve and Nancy were in the shed, hanging up sheets of tarp with staple guns. Lucas and Dustin were on the other side of the house, rummaging through the bins for sheets of paper and cardboard. Aven had been assigned the same thing, but on the furthest side of the Byers home, alone. The cold air made her shiver, not having the feeling of comfort someone else would've supplied.

She threw another piece of flattened paper into the pile beside the bin before bending down to pick it up. However, before her gloved hands could even brush against the edge of the torn papers and scraps of cardboard, the sound of sniffling filled the surrounding area. She looked up, alarmed. She swallowed, slowly standing up as she stretched out her fingers. She planted her feet.

"Aven?" Someone asked in a nasally voice from behind her. She jumped around with a yelp, struggling to tame her wild face as she locked eyes with the young and slightly startled Dustin Henderson. He wiped his nose, sniffling once more, as the stains on his cheeks glistened in the outdoor verandah light.

"Hey, buddy," Aven laughed gently. "You scared me. What's up? What're you crying for?"

Dustin shrugged as she walked closer. "What's wrong with me, Aven?"

The girl frowned. She stopped just in front of him. "What do you mean? You've lost me."

Dustin groaned. "Nobody likes me! All the girls go for someone else and I'm just left here . . . alone. I don't get it. What do I do differently? I've tried everything! I did what Steve said to do! And now look. I'm alone again."