Chapter 48

"MY FAMILY NEEDS TO be somewhere." Ethan's last words were a gut punch to David. The purpose was to mark what was his. A declaration of his love for Avery. It was a statement that she was not just loved, but also family. Avery, Ella, and the baby were his family. The family he swore to protect, care for, and cherish for the rest of his life.

Ethan and Avery didn't look back. David was shocked as hell. He was in disbelief. Unable to grasp what had just happened. He remembered not believing Art when he told him about Ethan. Even after Ethan showed up in Boston, he was in denial. Never in a million years would he ever think that the Avery he'd known would do what the Avery he'd just seen just did. With his hands frozen on his hair, David kept asking himself where the naïve and quiet Ave had gone.

What stunned him more was the list of conditions and demands enumerated to him by Attorney Bartlett. He came to Florida confident he could convince Avery. His goal was to show his sincere intentions toward her and the baby. Make her feel he deserved the last chance to work things out and fix what was broken. But what he saw hit him. HARD. It broke his heart and crushed his soul. How did it happen? The question kept wavering in his mind.

David left the James mansion full of questions. Though the law tied his hands for the moment, he could never give up, and he wouldn't. The law may not have been in his favor, but his love for Avery And their child was beyond the rule of law. Ethan's words replayed in his mind. "Custody and time-sharing are possible after a paternity test through a court proceeding." He smirked. It seemed he'd underestimated Shelly's Mr. Hotshot. But he wasn't called Boston's Best for no reason.

***

Weeks passed, and Avery was due to give birth any day. Ethan never left her side. If Avery was both excited and scared, Ethan had his worries too. Slowly it got into him. He hated to admit it, but as the day of Avery's giving birth got close, his not-so-happy thoughts after Ella was born started resurfacing.

As a doctor, Ethan knew not all patients' situations were the same. But despite what he knew and his sister's assurance that Avery's pregnancy was all clear, Patty was his constant reminder. It was a fear he'd been silently fighting since he learned of Avery's pregnancy. So for eight years, he'd buried all questions and anxiety about what happened to Patty when Ella was born.

With each passing day, Ethan had been getting flashbacks of what had occurred eight years ago. Though he was fighting the dark thoughts and memories inside him, Avery felt something had been bothering him for days.

"Hey, are you okay? You've been zoning out lately." Avery touched Ethan's hand, which hadn't moved since he held the fork when they started lunch.

Ethan smiled at her. "All is good, my love."

"Are you sure? What's bothering you?" Avery caressed his cheek and gently stroked his hair. "Is it about David? I think Attorney Bartlett gave him a good lecture when we left. He hasn't contacted me since then."

Ethan took her hand, slowly kissed her knuckles, and gazed at her. "I'm never bothered by Boston's Best." He chuckled. "You shouldn't be either. You surely put him in his place the last time."

Avery smiled back. But when Ethan took a deep and long breath, she knew it was time to put her sass on him.

"That's it! If it's not David, then what is it?" She pouted her lips and pulled her hand away from his grasp. "If you won't talk to me or tell me what's going on in your mind... better I take my leave now."

Avery's reaction surprised Ethan. It was the first time she'd shown irritation and walked out on him. When he followed her, Doctor Stella stopped him.

"Leave her for now. She's right. You seemed off lately. Do you want to talk about it? You're worried because Ave's due date is here. I'm her doctor. I can assure you they're going to be fine. It's you I'm worried about."