ᵗ ʷ ᵉ ⁿ ᵗ ʸ ⁻ ᵉ ⁱ ᵍ ʰ ᵗ

November 5th, 1984

November 5th, 1984

THE ODD COLLECTION OF TEENS were disgusted by the tunnel systems. They made their feelings about the underground space known by their constant gags and grimaces towards each other. When travelling through the systems, they had to carefully watch their steps at all times, and look out for the spore clusters exposed from the roof above them. It was dangerous, there was no doubt about it, but they had to push through. They were already in there, why back out?

"God." Lucas complained as they all stumbled out of a cramped vein, regaining their balance in a large, more spacious area. They all looked around with amazement, taking in the dead walls of the open space.

"What is this place?" Max asked, speaking on behalf of everyone whilst glancing around in a frenzy. The only person who was set on moving forwards was Steve, the only person who fought against the idea of walking through the tunnels in the first place.

"Guys, come on, keep moving." He demanded apathetically. Discreetly, he tilted his head to the side as if he was waiting for everyone, but really, he was checking that Aven was okay from her place at the back. Once she noticed and sent him a smile, he profusely blushed before awkwardly lifting his hand, sending her a wave in return. She laughed it off before he turned around and began moving again.

"What the hell?" The girl heard from behind her, recognizing the voice instantly. She spun around on her heel and called out the younger boy's name, ushering him forward so he wouldn't be left trailing behind. She was too late though, as the spore cluster that had distracted him in the first place shot out a cloud of some kind of mist. It landed right on Dustin's mouth, causing him to drop to the floor in a fit of coughs.

"Aven!" He managed to scream out as he clawed at his bandana, ripping it off as he spluttered out an array of coughs and sneezes.

"Dustin!" Aven yelled as she ran towards him, falling onto her knees beside the choking boy. She heard the pounding of the other teens' shoes as they surrounded the pair.

"What happened? What happened?" Steve repeated worriedly as he knelt down next to Aven, looking down at Dustin with concern as Aven's eyes nervously scanned the younger's face in her hands.

"It's in my mouth! Some got in my mouth! Shit!" He screamed as an answer with his eyes squeezed shut. He harshly yanked one of Aven's hands off his face just so he could entwine his fingers with hers as his coughing started to die down. He was already starting to feel better, mere seconds after the incident occurred. Maybe he was being overdramatic?

He let out a few more loud coughs as Aven's unoccupied hand travelled up and down the fabric covering his back, the others stepping back as if the coughing were to be contagious. Suddenly, Dustin stopped making any noises whatsoever and looked up at an expectant Aven. He didn't want to face the others. He already knew they would complain.

"I'm okay." He mumbled to the onlookers as the girl he was touching with the palm of his hand and soft pads of his fingertips sighed with relief. 

"You serious?" Max - exactly how Dustin expected - complained with an audible groan.