I15|

Knock. Knock.

I shift my weight from one foot to the other, waiting for Headmistress Lilith to open her office doors. My heart might just beat out of my chest. Mere seconds pass, but to me, they feel like hours.

Why am I this nervous? Mother is the first thing that pops into mind. She helped shape the nervous individual I am today. That woman never could talk nicely or peacefully.

"I'm sorry about the wait, sweetheart. Come on in." the doors swing open and she points to a chair across from her desk.

"Thanks,"  I mutter as I sit down.

"I'm glad I have the chance to finally meet you, Freya."

"It's nice to meet you as well," I agree. "I've heard a lot about you."

"I hope you heard nothing but great things about me."

"Of course," I quickly respond.

"There's no need to be nervous, you're not in any kind of trouble."

"That's good to know," I breathe.

"Your arrival to this school was in such an abrupt and questionable way. I just wanted to see how you are adjusting to everything. How are you, my dear?"

I grab my black diamond necklace and twist it between my fingers, my nervous habit. "I'm just taking it one day at a time."

"That's a great way of thinking," she starts, as her eyes dart down to the necklace in my hand. Her bright, happy eyes turn to ones with worry. I don't know her, but people say that she's almost always full of smiles. She doesn't look too happy now. Was it something I said or did?

"Where did you get that!" she nearly shouts, ripping the necklace off my neck.

"Give that back!" I shriek, trying to grab it back, but she pulls her hand away.

"You truly are such a clueless girl." She shakes her head.

"It's just a necklace my mother gave me," I inform her, rubbing my neck where the necklace once was.

"No wonder you had such a difficult time with the magic portion of the test."

"What are you talking about?!"

"So you are telling me that your mother gave you that? Did she not explain to you what that is? What that is used for? I just find that so hard to believe."

"It's just a necklace," I repeat. "Nothing more. You must be confused."

"I am anything but confused. That diamond is used to dampen someone's powers. I can't imagine why someone would have to use that against their child and leave you so defenseless."

"You're wrong."

"I really hope I'm wrong, especially this time," she says, the worry never leaving her face.

"And I get there are freaks out there, but who would hurt a child with their parents around?"

"You'd be surprised. There are many creatures out there and they don't care if you're a child or an adult. They would  and they will harm you in a blink of an eye."

"It can't be true!" My hands shake. Blood pounds in my ears. My heart thuds in my chest. "There is no way mother would go that far. That she went out of her way to hide these things from me? And if she does know what does that mean about the rest of my family? Do they know or are they just as clueless?" Breathing becomes hard. Really hard.

"Inhale through your nose and exhale out of your mouth," she instructs but that's easier said than done. I try to hold back the panic that is itching to escape.

"Drink some water," Professor Lilith says, handing me a bottle of water.

"I want to inform you that I will not be giving you that necklace back. That stuff is dark magic. Evil.  It can do some serious and permanent damage. It can do terrible things in the wrong hands."

"Dark magic?" I question, trying hard not to throw up.

"Dark Magic or Black Magic is a form of magic that goes against the very balance of nature itself. It involves evil spirits and is usually done for terrible things, like injuring or killing others."

"Oh, my God!" I shake my head, I don't know what or who to believe anymore.

"You probably should get going. You look like you need some fresh air."

"Yea," I wave goodbye, afraid if I stay any longer she'll come up with another crazy fact that I'll be forced to deal with.

I take a deep breath, feeling the wind on my face barely helps calm my nerves. My legs move, one at a time, making their way to the dorm.

So apparently the black diamond suppressed my powers. I guess only time will tell if that is true.

"Oh look, it's that weird girl from my class."

I quickly turn my head to see who just said that. A tall blonde girl passes me, but her mouth wasn't moving. That's suspicious. I continue walking, regardless.

"Oh god, I have so much homework to do."

I scan my surroundings, once again and notice a guy. He's tall and has a head full of curls, but he also didn't say a word out loud.

"She's kind of cute."

It was almost as if I heard what he said in my head. My heart starts to race, once again. I quicken my pace. People's words become all jumbled in my head. I shake my head as if that will help the craziness stop. The dorm comes into view and I run towards the door.

"How are you.. Look at that... I'm hungry...What should I cook..."

I freeze in my tracks. I close my eyes and cover my ears with my hands as if that will stop all the noise going on in my head. "STOP!" I scream.

I feel someone touch my shoulder and I know the person with eyes closed. The butterflies in my stomach were a dead giveaway. Caelum.