Part 3 Chapter 141

Edward Frost.

The future Archduke of the Northern terrain of Orion.

That was the title I was born with.

The vast lands of the north, shielded by the Averill mountains, are predominantly covered by snow for most of the year. It was only during summer that the sun came out, freeing the region from the white veil.

While the lands were fertile enough for cultivation, because of the harsh weather pattern, it was impossible to conduct large-scale agriculture that was sufficient to meet the demands of the growing population.

Besides the haunting weather, the duchy struggled from monster infestations that wreaked havoc across the lands.

In order to control the monster population, a subjugation unit led by the then northern head, Archduke Declan Frost, was formed with elite Frost Knights.

Every winter, when the first snow fell, the Frost Knights eradicated the monster population before they could reach the settlements.

It was during the first subjugation event, Archduke Declan Frost discovered what would become a turning point in northern history.

As if to make up for its discrepancies, the terrain was rich in minerals and ores, some being the rarest of all, sought after by the world.

Through generations, the Frosts thrived as their wealth grew at a tremendous rate and so did the northern lands.

The state of living of the general populous increased as a result of continuous development and eventually became self-sufficient in every way.

The Frost duchy became the richest household in Orion, second only to the royal family.

On the other hand, the abundance of natural resources and wealth made it a prying target for greedy people, even by those close within.

Thus, it took a dominant and authoritative stand to rule over the north.

My father, Archduke Clifford Frost, and my mother, Princess Selene Aetius from the Aetius Empire of Nasia, were such people.

They were powerful nobles even in the eyes of foreign nations.

With the Frosts having blood ties to the Orion imperial family and foreign royalty, they were the kind of people not to be trifled with.

And as their only heir, there were a lot of responsibilities on my shoulders.

As the saying goes, 'one cannot reap the benefits of power, without paying the price'.

Even as a child, I was aware of the expectations placed on me.

Around the clock, there were always things to be done, lessons that had to be learned, or people who had to be met.

Unlike the children of my age, I dedicated myself to studies and rigorous training.

Be it swords, magic, or alchemy... there were constantly new things to master.

Wherever I go, I was always surrounded by people of various kinds. Some try to curry favor, some try to please me, while others mock behind my back.

While there was admiration and envy, there was also an equal amount of contempt in their gazes.

My mere existence was a threat to a number of people.

"Your grace, you have to study this..."

"It is time for your sword lessons, your grace..."

"Our empire's history starts from the war against the great evil..."