Little Butterfly (part 3) - During Work

It was work the next morning.

Hajime: "Alright, which one of you five is going with 243 to the mail inspecting."

None of us volunteered.

Hajime: "*sigh* Fine, guess I'll call on someone... number 33, you go."

Jinx: "Kay."

Hajime: "243, take her and show her the ropes. Make sure she does it right."

Fuji: "Of course. Come on, Jinx."

I took his hand and walked with him to our station.

Fuji: "Alright, little one. We're inspecting the mail today. Our job is to open the mail and make sure there aren't any contrabands hidden inside."

Jinx: "Kay- uh... what's a contraband?"

Fuji: "Something that's been smuggled in, or something that shouldn't be there."

I stared up at him, still slightly puzzled.

Fuji: "Uhm, for example, anything that can be used as a weapon or used to assist escape. Put anything like that you find in that box over there."

Jinx: "Got it!"

I got to it, humming to myself as I worked.

Fuji: "I have to point out, Jinx, you seem to be in a good mood today."

Jinx: "Heh, I am. I found a caterpillar yesterday. His name is Doobie and I'm helping him to grow into a butterfly. I guess he's all I can think about lately. I've never seen a butterfly before so I'm excited! Uno says they're really pretty."

Fuji smiled and pet my head.

Fuji: "Never lose your wonder and curiosity, little one."

Jinx: "Haha... Uh- Hey, Fuji, this book has a pocket knife in it."

The blade was out. When I took it out of the book, I froze. My eye was twitching as I stared at the sharp blade in my shaking hand. Fuji kneeled down next to me and rubbed my back.

Fuji: "Jinx? Hey, Jinx, can you hear me?"

I soon snapped out of it and tossed the knife straight into the contrabands box. Fuji was still rubbing my back as I took a couple shaky breaths.

Jinx: "Sorry, Fuji... that hasn't happened in a while..."

Fuji: "It's alright, Jinx. I should have warned you about the potential sharp objects you might find. I heard what happens when you see a blade."

Jinx: "Still... I thought I was over that..."

Fuji: "Though, what I've heard about your 'Code Red' is a lot worse than what just happened."

Jinx: "Yeah... Apparently I don't go stab crazy anymore. I just seem to space out for a minute or two when they catch me off guard."

He gave me a comforting smile.

Fuji: "Improvement isn't something that happens just like that. It's a process. You're doing well, Jinx."

I nodded.

Fuji: "Come on, let's get back to work. Don't wanna get stuck with overtime."

Soon a particular envelope caught my eye.

Jinx: "Hey, this one's for Uno. From... Catherine?!"

Fuji: "Who?"

Jinx: "Uno's ex-girlfriend. She got married a while back...... should I open it?"

Fuji: "That's the job we've been given."

I opened the envelope, but there was nothing of suspicion in there. I was supposed to put it back, but curiosity got the better of me and I read the note inside.

Jinx: "'I've had a baby. Catherine.' Ouch... Uno's not gonna like this."

Fuji: "His ex getting married and having a child all while he's still in here. Yeah, that's gotta be tough."

Jinx: "Hey, Fuji... where do babies come from?"

He froze.

Fuji: "Uh—uhm... I... heh, I don't think I'm the right person to tell you that, Jinx..."

Jinx: "Hm?"

Meanwhile...

Rock: "I'm not gonna lie. I'm glad Jinx was the one picked to go with Fuji."

Uno: "Yeah, this is our chance to tell you."

Jyugo & Nico: "Tell us what?"

Uno: "It was something Honey said to us while Trois was teaching you three billiards."

Rock: "One day soon, Jinx's caterpillar will become a butterfly."

Uno: "And that means it'll need to fly away."

Nico: "Yeah... I knew that. I'm... a little worried."

Jyugo: "Why?"

Rock: "Because Jinx's attached to it. Isn't that obvious?"

Uno: "No matter what happens, it's all going to end in tears."

Jyugo: "It's going to be hard on her, but we'll take care of her like we always do."

Nico: "Yeah."

Rock: "We just wanted to make sure you're ready for the worst."

They nodded.