New Years Eve

Because I have never written a New Years Eve chapter and I figured it was about time!

***********************************

Mason strode past Carter's desk but halted a few feet away and quickly swiveled around like he'd suddenly thought of something. Backtracking, he stopped at Carter's desk. Carter glanced at him then away, her only acknowledgment.

"Hey, Owens," Mason said.

Carter continued with her work. Mason would say what he was going to say whether she replied or not. Years of high school together taught her this. Also, the fact that Mason wasn't likely to never change meant this would always be true.

"I need your help with something," Mason said. "Before you say no, hear me out."

Again Carter didn't respond.

"I need a date tonight to my family's New Years Eve party and I need it to be you."

The word 'need' struck Carter as an interesting choice of word. It didn't imply want, more a helplessness to any other option.

"Okay," she said.

"Look, I know you're with boy scout Donovan, but I wouldn't be asking you this is if I didn't have literally any other option." He blinked like he'd just registered what she'd said. "Wait, you're fine going with me?"

"Yes."

"No argument."

"Nope."

"No all-out brawl where I have to somehow threaten you to make this happen?"

"No."

"Why not? This feels like a setup for you to say yes so easily."

Finally, Carter twisted her chair to look directly at Mason.

"Donovan has decided that doing something tonight isn't worth it. So I'm fine going with you."

Mason backed up a step and raised his hands. "Woah! Okay, I am not getting on the wrong side of boy scout. If this is your revenge then never mind, I take back the invitation."

"You're fine. And no, I'm not using you. It simply means I'm free."

Mason looked about as if he expected Donovan to jump up out of nowhere and attack.

"Okay then..." He ran his hand through his hair, his composure back. "I'll pick you up outside your apartment at nine." He started to walk away, then paused. "Is it possible for you to find some way to look decent?"

Carter arched her eyebrows at him. He rolled his eyes.

"You know what I mean."

"Yes, I can."

He started off again but this time Carter stopped him.

"Why me?"

Sliding his hands into his pockets, Mason faced her. "I thought it would be obvious with going to a party with politicians and all."

"Enlighten me."

"You have this amazing talent of pissing someone off without even trying. I expect my mother to have invited a lot of women to this thing. Women I have no intention of dating. You'll be like my own personal force field."

Carter narrowed her eyes at him but Mason remained unfazed.

"You have that same ability," Carter said.

Mason raised a finger. "Ah, I don't. Not when it comes to politicians. My upbringing kicks in and I'm an obnoxious, polite First Son. It's disgusting."