s e v e n

January 28th 2017
Avengers Compound

Steve returned about 45 minutes later, Ember heard his bike coming down the long driveway of the compound and saw his muscular body jog to the main entrance.

A few minutes later he arrived back up the stairs at the main living area where he had left Ember not so long ago to buy food.

"What did you end up getting?" She asked. Ember had noticed his slightly over the edge mood today, so she was trying to be the least annoying she could be.

She didn't normally choose to be this nice so she sure as hell hoped he was noticing and appreciating it.

"Italian. Macaroni to be more specific. Only this one didn't burn to the bottom of the pan."

Ember chewed on the side of her cheek and tilted her head down, laughing slightly as Steve handed her a container of mac and cheese, before sitting next to her at the other end of the sofa with his own container.

"I thought you'd be a knife and fork, fancy plates, sitting at the dining table, kinda guy." She joked, stabbing the pasta and grinning at him with the fork between her teeth.

Steve chuckled, "I've been told that is more of a 40s or thanksgiving thing to do. And seen as it is neither the 40s, nor thanksgiving, I figured the sofa and a movie was more appropriate." He said, twirling the TV remote between his fingers.

"Ah I see." She laughed, "So what movie do you have in mind?"

"Well there's still thousands I haven't seen yet, so what are your recommendations?"

"Uh..."

And then she froze.

She knew movies, hundreds of movies. But she couldn't actually remember watching any.

Her mind just went blank, like she lost control of her own thoughts for a second.

"Uh, I'm not sure. You choose." She tried to play it off calmly, without worrying too much about her mind blank.

Steve used the remote to flick through Netflix movies, watching the trailers of some that looked alright, before deciding against it and moving onto another one.

The sun had almost completely set, and the only light that was illuminating the living area of the compound was the faint moonlight and the television screen.

He accidentally played the trailer for a spicy looking romance movie, and Ember had to contain her laughter as Steve's eyes widened as he muttered, "Why do people make this stuff?"

He also questioned why there was so many documentaries about Tony Stark, and then kept complaining about the cringe, low budget movie that was made about Steve becoming Captain America.

"That guy doesn't even look like me!"

The trailer for a world war two movie came on. Ember didn't recognise the title at all, she hadn't recognised any movies Steve had watched the trailers for which were made past 2014.

Ember looked between the television screen and Steve, she noticed that any shot that showed soldiers in uniform, or any shot that had a world war two era gun, he would tense up, and hold the remote tighter in his hand.

"Steve?" She asked softly.

God why was she being so nice. It felt weird for her to have non humiliating or non flirtatious sentences to come out of her mouth.

But seeing him so visibly upset and distressed pulled on her heartstrings.

Yes she had a heart, it wasn't all completely sexual.